1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

baby reflux and domperidone medicine

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by all_heart, Nov 11, 2011.

1. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Hi, my LO is now 11 weeks old - she was in special care for 15 days with reflux and projectile vomiting. The projectile has stopped and I thought that she was improving until earlier today I noticed her chocking and eyes watering and from researching it seems what I thought was all fine it's turned into silent reflux all this time (I feel like an evil Mum not noticing this earlier). I was all ready to take her off the domperidone reflux medicine as I've heard scary things about 3 children have died because of the high salt levels, but now i'm so confused.

I'm going to get a doctors app on Monday as I know I need medical advice but I'm a boggled Mum at the moment - I don't want her on medicine but I don't want her to be in pain (reflux isn't nice for anyone!)

I guess I'm writing to see if anyone else has lived with baby reflux and if they have any advice, especially on the medicines.
    Also has reflux turned into silent reflux for anyone else.

Cheers xx

2. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Hi, my LO is now 11 weeks old - she was in special care for 15 days with reflux and projectile vomiting. The projectile has stopped and I thought that she was improving until earlier today I noticed her chocking and eyes watering and from researching it seems what I thought was all fine it's turned into silent reflux all this time (I feel like an evil Mum not noticing this earlier). I was all ready to take her off the domperidone reflux medicine as I've heard scary things about 3 children have died because of the high salt levels, but now i'm so confused.

I'm going to get a doctors app on Monday as I know I need medical advice but I'm a boggled Mum at the moment - I don't want her on medicine but I don't want her to be in pain (reflux isn't nice for anyone!)

I guess I'm writing to see if anyone else has lived with baby reflux and if they have any advice, especially on the medicines.
    Also has reflux turned into silent reflux for anyone else.

Cheers xx

3. Are you breast or bottle feeding?

4. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Just thought I'd mention, HV kept saying LO had colic as symptoms so similar, now it explains why no colic medicines worked!

5. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

bottle. She's on prescribed milk - a thickened formula

6. Does anything on here ring bells with you? http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2010/07/reflux.html

I have no personal experience of reflux, so I'm sure someone more experienced will be along, but I found the article above very interesting :)

7. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Thanks, just loaded this to read.

8. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

So true - the amount of people I talk to and they say my baby has reflux too, makes it seem common - reflux is to easy to say you have now. I saw a baby with the smallest amount of spit up and the Mum was fussing over whether he should be on medication. Babies spit up, it makes me so frustrated when it's called reflux.

My poor LO was in special care, fed through a tube, lost weight and was in agony over the acid, cramps and the confusion of it all.

Even my MIL is now saying, she can;t be that bad, about 3 babies down our road have reflux (but getting started on MIL is a different story in itself!)

Cheers for finding the article though, it was a traumatic c-section, I hope it's not because of me she has this - what a horrible gift to pass down.

9. Oh, please don't feel like that, that's not why I posted the article! I think the author makes a good point about medication being used to treat the symptoms but not the causes of severe reflux which isn't fair to baby or parents. I thought there might be one or two things in the article that you may be able to follow up that might offer some respite for your little girl. Good luck!

10. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

The article does give me starting points and things to talk over with the doctor - that's another worry, does the medicine just prevent the reflux as soon as we stop it the reflux is still there. So many questions, I didn't sleep last night my head was going round in circles.

There are some sites for relfux babies and parents, they might be the best place for me as there will be a lot of experience and tips.

Cheers xx

11. Hi,
    I found Cow and Gate Instant Carobel stopped my twin girls reflux. We had it prescribed from the doctor but you can buy it over the counter. It is all natural compared to things like Gaviscon (which we tried and it didn't do anything). We used it for ages and slowly reduced the amount we added to the girls feed until we didn't need to add it any more. You will find if using bottles that you will need a faster flow teat as it thickens the milk, hence stopping it coming back up so readily. Hope this is of some help to you!

12. You aren't a bad mummy for not realising your LO had silent reflux. My LO was about 13 weeks before he was diagnosed with reflux. He was breastfed but it didn't seem to make any difference. Because he was big when he was born, nobody worried that he wasn't gaining weight but slipping further down the charts. Initially we were prescribed gaviscon, then ranitadine and then domperidone. The domperidone has been brilliant. We had to wean at 16 weeks. LO is now fully weaned and has returned to his original level on the chart. My LO is now 9 months and every so often I think he doesn't need the meds any more. I start to reduce the dose and then he's sick again. My doctor keeps telling me to just continue. My OH is dead against the meds but why should you LOs suffer? when you think about it, it's so hard to get any meds approved for use in babies, the domperidone is probably ok. Try not to worry. Personally, I'd stick with the meds. Good luck.

13. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

Just found this old thread in my hot list and though I would update incase anyone reads this with a reflux baby. Increased domderidine, didn't do much, tried baby gavascone she refused all her feeds on it, now on ranitidine with domperidone and she is now a different baby, so chilled and we haven't had a reflux cry for nearly 3 weeks! (a cry that sounds like she's being tortured) .

So if anyone searches old threads for reflux advice, keep going to the doctors if you think something isn't working, trust me, you know when you've found something that works!