1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

baby names

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by william34, May 7, 2011.

1. william34

william34 New commenter

please would you give your opinion on the names amrissa and amreese for a baby girl. thankyou

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Indeed, it's one of the worst forums on which to ask, given the certainty that the average age of NQTs posting on here will make them relatively poor judges of suitable names for babies.
    Choose something 'classic' for a child, not something that sounds 'different' and which, moreover, is both difficult to spell and to pronounce.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

The 'average' age for NQT's i'd guess is around the 23 years old mark - I dont see how a 23 year old educated person is likely to be a relatively poor judge of a suitable baby name.

To the OP - I think they are silly names personally, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and choosing names is up to the parents.

4. Middlemarch

Because they're young and daft and have been at school with too many children with stupid names.

5. I've noticed.

Daft names are relative. All the old traditional names that are coming back in were despised by the people who had them. I'm not too keen on the OP's choices but nor would I like a class full of Matthews or, even an English department comprising five women with the same name, which is a pain in the bum to say the least. The main thing is to choose a name that at least has a standard form of spelling.

6. Middlemarch

I agree.

7. As an older than average NQT, with children (grown) I may be qualified to speak on this one. And my reaction is: ***. These are awful names. If I saw these on my register I would be making assumptions about the child's parents that were not flattering. To say the least.