1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby names - Am I just too fussy?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bellaire, Dec 9, 2006.

1. I am pregnant, and I have been thinking of baby names whilst being very bored today!

I can't find a single one that I like!

I don't like really unusual names like the celebrities use. Note to celebrities - its not a drink, a piece of fruit, or a well-known location - its a BABY!!

I don't like names like Kyle, Mason, Jordan and Kayleigh, which seem so popular these days.

I don't like the names which are so popular with 'chavs' these days. In my opinion some of the biggest crimes against names are Riley, Kenzie and Morgan (for a girl). *shudders*

I don't like names that are too over-used. I don't want my child to be the fourth child in the class with the same name.

I don't like names that are too 'cute'. Some people choose names that would be 'cute' for a baby. This child will be a baby for a very small proportion of its life, and he/she needs a name that will still be suitable when he/she reaches adulthood.

Therefore, I am looking for a name which is traditional, but does not fit into any of the above catagories. Maybe I am far too fussy!!!

2. I am pregnant, and I have been thinking of baby names whilst being very bored today!

I can't find a single one that I like!

I don't like really unusual names like the celebrities use. Note to celebrities - its not a drink, a piece of fruit, or a well-known location - its a BABY!!

I don't like names like Kyle, Mason, Jordan and Kayleigh, which seem so popular these days.

I don't like the names which are so popular with 'chavs' these days. In my opinion some of the biggest crimes against names are Riley, Kenzie and Morgan (for a girl). *shudders*

I don't like names that are too over-used. I don't want my child to be the fourth child in the class with the same name.

I don't like names that are too 'cute'. Some people choose names that would be 'cute' for a baby. This child will be a baby for a very small proportion of its life, and he/she needs a name that will still be suitable when he/she reaches adulthood.

Therefore, I am looking for a name which is traditional, but does not fit into any of the above catagories. Maybe I am far too fussy!!!

3. Cameron
    Callum
    Martha
    Catherine

4. The most important part of choosing the baby's name is that you like the shortened form of it, because it WILL get shortened!

Let the baby choose its name when it is born - call it by the name to which you get the most cheerful response.

5. Thanks for the suggestions, but I forgot to mention that my surname begins with a C, so I don't want the child's first initial to be C!

I can't use Martha either, as it reminds me of a very nasty lady that I once worked with!

Sorry! I told you I was fussy!! ;)

6. NOT

Callum

Have only met one nice one.

7. Packerguy - my mum didn't want names for me and my brother that could be shortened, so we both have one syllable names.

So what do we do? We lengthen them!!

8. There have been a few threads on here with loads of suggestions - maybe you could do a search?

9. Rhys/Reece, Ben*, Harley, Jamie, Lewis/Louis, Curtis.

Such lovely kids at ours go by these names!

* Not Benjamin in its short form

10. Oh, and strangely, whilst having a swim a couple of hours ago I was thinking of baby names and what I'd call mine (not that I'm pregnant :-( )

Didn't come up with any girls' names, but decided I liked Benjamin and Kamaran.

11. It's ALWAYS a dilemma for teachers. There are names I used to like but don't anymore thanks to particularly awful kids I've taught over the years.

12. elizabeth
    henry

13. packerguy - Don't even get me started on shortened versions of names! I usually hate them, and therefore it just makes finding a suitable name even more difficult!

buntycat - I am finding that working with children does seem to make choosing a name for my own child even harder, as I don't want to name my child after any particularly difficult children!!

14. Me too sadie - my oh hates it though! Still, Im sure he could be persuaded!

The mother of a girl in my class has the name Martha, and she is absolutely horrible. Every time I talk to her I mentally try and block out the fact that thats her name - I dont want her to ruin it for me!

15. Call your first child Juan

and your second child Two

16. Sorry everyone. I still haven't found any names that I like!!

This baby will be called No-name at this rate!

17. Olivia (Livvy, Liv)
    Scarlett (lottie, Scarl)
    Lydia
    Rosemary (Rosa, Rosie, Rose, Mary)
    Nuala

Isaac
    Jacob
    Rhys
    Paul
    Stephan

18. Rebekah
    Joshua

19. My favourite names are:

Hugh
    Patrick (though NEVER shortened to ANYTHING)
    Robin (boy)
    Toby
    James

And I can never come up with any girls names I like...perhaps it's an omen?? The closest I can come to a girl's name I like is Emily. :(