1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby Led Weaning - 16 months?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by laura lou, Jun 6, 2011.

1. We did a lot of finger foods and really liked the BLW approach, though by no means did it fully. My question is, at 16 months, should she now be reverting to a spoon/fork? What do your little ones do? She can use cutlery - however, if we have stew/stir-fry/fish pie etc, we give her the same size pieces as us, which she likes to pick up, rather than cut it very small so she can spoon it.
    At what age does eating with fingers lose the cute-appeal?!
    x

2. We did a lot of finger foods and really liked the BLW approach, though by no means did it fully. My question is, at 16 months, should she now be reverting to a spoon/fork? What do your little ones do? She can use cutlery - however, if we have stew/stir-fry/fish pie etc, we give her the same size pieces as us, which she likes to pick up, rather than cut it very small so she can spoon it.
    At what age does eating with fingers lose the cute-appeal?!
    x

3. Do you give her cutlery at each meal? Don't pressure her into using it, just give it to her with each meal and you'll find she'll mimic you and start using it and eventually use it more than her fingers. My son is similar in age and is using both about equally, my daughter is nearly 3 and uses cutlery more than her fingers.

4. Yeah just start giving her implements. My 2 year old can use a fork but frequently gets annoyed and starts shovelling for speed!

5. I would agree, give her a fork/spoon but don't expect too much just yet. Some babies are quicker than others at deciding cutlery is their thing. Mine is 15 months and is happy to stab the food with the fork, then she picks it off with her fingers to eat it [​IMG] I don't get her using the spoon very often, she just shouts at me and hands me the spoon cos I'm quicker at shovelling it in.

6. Mine uses the spoon amazingly well- when she wants to! Tonight she sat with it held aloft in her hand while she methodically picked up every piece of pasta/tomato/sauce/cheese etc with her fingers- so funny! I don't think at 16 months it's a problem- just let her have them and make suer you eat with her as oiften as poss to model using cutlery.

7. Thanks for the reassurance - I suddenly worried we were wring! She's adept at both fork and spoon, especially as she was quite late starting to feed herself with a spoon. She often just doesn't fancy boring old cutlery though!
    X

8. They need to be using cultery properly by the time they start school I reckon :)

9. haha brettgirl- it's stunning how many of them don't know one end of a fork from the other when they are in school! [​IMG]

10. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

haha, hopefully we'll have got the hang of it by then, enough time to practise. Like others have said, my LO can use fork and spoon quite well when he wants to, but this is by no means all of the time!