1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby learning to crawl

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kittenmittens, Jul 18, 2011.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

My LO is 7 months and a week, she can get up on her hands and knees and rock back and forth for quite a while, but doesn't know what to do next! She's so frustrated, is there anything I can do to teach her how to put her hands and knees in front of the other or does it just suddenly happen? She's sooo whiny and annoyed that she can't move around. I know it'll be harder when she's on the move but I hate seeing her struggle and get so cross!

2. kittenmittens

My LO is 7 months and a week, she can get up on her hands and knees and rock back and forth for quite a while, but doesn't know what to do next! She's so frustrated, is there anything I can do to teach her how to put her hands and knees in front of the other or does it just suddenly happen? She's sooo whiny and annoyed that she can't move around. I know it'll be harder when she's on the move but I hate seeing her struggle and get so cross!

3. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

I'm interested to know the answer to this - Lite has been at this stage for a month now and we haven't found the solution yet!

4. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Not sure you can teach them to crawl, they have to work it out for themselves. Perhaps you could crawl around and see if she copies you. Also encourage her by putting toys in front of her just out of reach. Balls or anything that rolls are good once they have started crawling, my LO loved rolling stacking cups for absolutely ages. x

5. We're on week 8 of this! LO can now do a one foot one knee shuffle but it has taken a good eight weeks from start to finish. Not sure there is a solution...

6. kittenmittens

Oh no! Maybe we're not so close then... still, stairgates went up today as it could happen suddenly I suppose.

7. Exactly what i was going to say- we were quite mean and would push the toys further out of her reach to encourage her to move after them, mwah-hahaha! But it will just come one day when something in her head clicks and she twigs what to do. In the meantime just enjoy crawling round on the floor with her!

8. It happened very suddenly with my LO this weekend! He saw me across the room and beetled over! He'd been at the rocking stage for about 2 months. I think they have to work it out for themselves and build up the muscle memory of getting that tricky second leg out. LO had been able to get on all fours for a while and just stayed still. The frustration is often a good motivator to get moving too!

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son started off crawling backwards at about 6.5 months, and would back himself kind of under his bouncy chair, bless him! I can't remember what made him suddenly crawl forwards, must've been him trying to get a toy. I think he crawled forwards about 7.5 months, so it took him a month to work that one out!
    With walking i think we were more mean, and were making him take steps between us.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Just keep putting her down and toys in front of her, she'll be doing it probably by the time you read this!