1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby hyperventiallating...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by wormburger, Feb 8, 2011.

1. I had a massive panic this evening, we gave LO some Calpol - following docs advice - for a nasty cold, and she seemed to start choking which then turned into her gasping for breath in between cries. She seemed to be hyperventiallting. I think we badly misjudged when to give it to her and tried to do it when she was crying, leading to it going down the wrong way.
    It was unbelieveably frightening, I nearly rang 999. She eventually calmed down, but not before she'd gone v pale. I then fed her and she dropped off immediately. That was a few hours ago and sh'e now happily fast aslepp.
    I just feel like I want to spend the night on the floor in her room, I realise it was caused by the medecine going down the wrong way but it has really shaken me up. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

2. Yup.

You get used to it eventually.

One of mine had bad asthma and we were in and out of hospital in nasty circumstances often.

The oldest got flesh eating MRSA 18 months ago. That was nasty.

Welcome to parenthood! =D

3. Not quite as bad as that but we have done something similar with calpol- I think we were so desparate to get it in- choking, silent screaming where she couldn't catch her breath.

She has probably forgotton all about it - it is just you that is shaken. It is scary though

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Souns likeyl, though I'd check with her doctor just to be on the safe side.

Weebecka, you must surely qualify for the most undiplomatic post of the year award!

5. exactly the same but with gripewater and I did call 999 as was terrifying!! He was fine but I was a wreck and a half!

6. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one, its a huge comfort so thanks for replying. She's been fine today so hopefully all is well and I won't make that mistake again!

7. Sincere apologies for any offence caused ladies. And also to our oldest who would probably deservedly give me a good handbagging for mentioning her on here.

Not seen you here before inky - do you have a wee one?