1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby gift ideas please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Apr 22, 2012.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Babies benefit from being read to from a very early age - you can share a book with a baby of a few months old.

2. These are really good

http://www.babyblooms.co.uk/index.php?target=categories&category_id=41&gclid=CIiPsZuOy68CFaYJtAod0QrCbQ

Flower shaped clothes in a bouquet

3. Hmm link didn't work

Www.babyblooms.co.uk

4. Thanks everyone - some fab ideas there!

I'm really looking forward to the arrival of this baby as it's unlikely I'll have children of my own, despite how much I would really love them - I'm gay so it probably won't happen for me. I probably have spent too much but hey, this might be my only opportunity to do it so I'll make the most of it !!

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

This won't be very helpful. Its from http://pearhead.com/product_detail.php?id=225 but if you Google family tree photoframe there may be some other versions in the UK. x

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Baby blooms- they look like a flower arrangement but are actually made up of baby grows and socks. I had one for my second child and have sent them to everyone I know who's had a baby since!

7. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

What about Beatrix Potter stuff? In the past I have bought Jemima Puddleduck soft toy and ceramic (for a keepsake) plus some of the books. Have also bought Peter Rabbit plus hardback book and more traditional book so that people/parents/you can add to the collection as the child gets older. Another thought is Elmo the Elephant, lots of books in different languages available and toys to match.

8. Thanks for all the fantastic ideas everyone! I'm going to take another day or two to decide what else to buy for both the baby and my s-I-l. My problem is I could buy everything suggested, but don't have the cash for that and need to leave some things for other people to buy them!!

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Buy a pack of nappies, muslin cloths, baby bath, sudocreme, baby wipes, nappy sacks, bibs.....all those practical things that new parents need and keep running out of! I've done this a few times for friends and they've been delighted. If you want to add something more personal go for the photos frame or blanket ideas too. Can all be wrapped up in a lovely basket. It's also nice to pop in a luxury bubble bath, chocolates and hand cream for Mum.

10. Having just had ours (she showed up 7 weeks ahead of schedule!)... ok I WON'T list the soft loo roll as the greatest gift of all - but there's a special circle of hell reserved for the comedian who put scratchy school loo roll on a ward where lots of women have stitches and I love love love love love my dear hubby for showing up with Andrex in the end! The other gift someone got me that I adored (bearing in mind I was stuck in hospital for a fortnight with her coming so early) was a pair of really soft and cool pyjamas - made me feel so much less skanky and bedraggled.... but obviously most people don't end up having to live on a maternity ward for a fortnight (would drive any sane woman bonkers if they had to).
    We got a million and one outfits from people - trouble is - they're all summer outfits (have you SEEN our summer) and in sizes that will swamp our little dot... so lots of them are likely to go unused!
    People who got us loads of stuff like the sudocreme and baby bath and stuff were probably much more of initial "use" to us (particularly since some git on the maternity ward nicked my first tub of sudocreme) - nappies less so since we don't even get to fit in newborn size now.
    Other than that - what I'd have loved would have been one of those handprint casting things (mothercare I noticed do silver fingerprint jewellery ones which I really really want to remind me of how small she is) - hubby's failed to take the hint on that one though... actually this reminds me I have some air drying clay bought for doing a handprint impression lying around somewhere - must get that done before she grows!

11. Pay for a shopping delivery. Or (if you have the time) make a bulk quantity of lasagne or something else that can be re-heated and put it in their freezer.

12. The baby will love that...

13. When my children were babies I would have killed for someone to cook for me.
    The baby will love not having an exhausted mother!

14. What newborn DOESN'T love lasagne or a nice shopping delivery? Anyway, the OP asked for ideas for 'them' - I assumed she meant the parents...

15. But - in the spirit of the thread - how about a tree to plant? That would be nice. Then, when baby is eighty, the tree will be huge. That would be cool.