1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby gift ideas please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Apr 22, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

A nice baby blanket is a must. It's a good thing to take into hospital with you, to bring baby home all wrapped up in. It can be transferred from car seat, to moses basket, to pram, cot, etc. Very practical. My youngest (nearly 3) still loves to snuggle up with hers on the sofa.
    Here's my favourite baby blanket. I recently bought it for my sister's baby boy. It is totally unisex and popular for girls and boys:
    http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-gingerbread-striped-knitted-blanket/786009400/type-i/
    Congratulations on impending auntyhood!

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Ooh, a lovely photo frame/album is another idea. I never had enough!
    I'm into practical gifts, can you tell?! Many newborn presents can be a bit gimmicky.

3. Thanks for the ideas - a baby blanket seems like a really good idea. I've already bought some bits and pieces - not many clothes as they're bound to get loads from friends and family - but little things like scratch mits and bibs and Sophie La Giraffe! I have also bought them a baby bath which I discussed with them before buying to make sure it was one they wanted.

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Aww, you sound so thoughtful. A wonderful auntie in the making!

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Being an auntie is such good fun!
    A baby book is a lovely idea to record milestones and photos.
    To be honest, it doesn't matter what you buy, it will be appreciated by mum and dad.

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

but not if it's the kind where you have to write down every minute detail of baby's life! I always felt pressure to fill in these things and then guilt because I never got round to it.

7. Our baby is six months old (where did the time go?!) and whenever somebody asks me what I need for baby, my reply is always: muslin squares! You can never have too many! X

8. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

What do you do with these? My granny used to wrap curdled milk in them, tie them up and hang them on the line to make cheese.
    I think the most sensible thing to to do is ask the prospective parents what they need for the baby. That way you won't be duplicating or giving them something they don't want. I know that doesn't sound very romantic but in these days of austerity it makes sense to get the essentials.

9. If they have a sense of humour a comedy dummy can provide a lot of fun.
    [​IMG]

10. Spanakopita

The poor little mite is going cross eyed with it.

11. [​IMG]
    The full effect.

12. Spanakopita

My 2 yr old grandson left his dummy for the Easter bunny. The dentist said it must go because it was pushing his teeth out of shape. The bunny left so many chocolate eggs in compensation that I am expecting his teeth to drop out altogether before long.

13. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I just got my friend a Sophie the Giraffe as all my friends swore by it.
    This is quite cute:
    [​IMG]
    Or a nice mobile/net thing for over the cot (no idea what its called!) x

14. Muslin squares are essential if you have a 'sicky' baby! I spent my whole time with one draped over my shoulder and always passed the baby and the square to anyone who dared to hold him.
    Practical but not very exciting!

15. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I like that frame, littlemiss! Where's it from?

16. Thanks everyone for the ideas.
    I did discuss all of this with my brother and s-i-l and that's when we came up with the bathing system thing I've got them. I'm just looking for some other ideas of things that might be slightly different from the other gifts they receive, or something that might be particularly useful that they hadn't thought about.
    I bought them a baby book when they told me I was going to be an auntie, as my s-i-l loves that sort of thing so the scan photos and other thoughts etc. are already in it! She plans to keep it up to date, but time will tell if she can manage this when the baby comes along!!!

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If you take flowers take an arrangement that's ready arranged, or one of those that's in it's own water or give them a vase .

18. All my friends and family have recieved from me a basket containing Calpol, soothing powders, teething gel. Colic drops, vapour rub, tixylix. etc.
    Some of these can't be used untill three months but new parents never have them at 3am when they're needed.
    I've not had a single parent not come to me weeks after the birth and say, lifesaver.

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Books. It won't be very long before baby is ready to be read to.

20. If you don't want to that far ahead, a bicycle?