1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby Eczema

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by moomoon, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hello
    I am hoping some of you can help me with eczema.
    My daughter is almost 5 months old and has eczema, mainly on her head at the moment, we have been to the doctors and have some cream- one emolient and hydrocortisone... It seems so harsh but does seem to be helping but I would like as much advice as possible- I hate seeing her scratch so much. It first flared up when I took her swimming (obviously we don't do it anymore) and I felt so guilty for taking her.
    Anyhow, what creams, potions, or anything have you found which have helped? What has made it worse? What to avoid. Any tips whatsoever would be appreciated. I a lot of you will have suffered with eczema and it can be horrible. She is still breastfed at the moment and hasn't started solids. I am dreading that as am so worried about feeding her and making it worse.
    I don't care about the cost at the moment, she keeps waking up in the night as it hurts. She has had scratch mits on for days as she makes it bleed without them,

2. First thing to do is to check your bathroom products.
    For the time being at least she should be washed, according to one dermatologist I read, using pure sorbolene only, not a sorbolene based product. No soaps, no shampoos, no powders or other products of any kind. Her skin and scalp should probably be moisturised - pure sorbolene only. Unless of course, she's one of the unlucky ones whose skin reacts to sorbolene.
    And your laundry liquid / powder should be one specifically for sensitive skins - and no, repeat no, fabric softener - maybe a bit of vinegar in the rinse water for bed and bath linen.

3. Ok, thank-you.
    We're not using any bath products at the moment- just water. Though we are using wipes for her nappy changes which probably need to be looked at.
    Don't know much about sorbolene but will do a bit of research.
    Will also try the vinegar rince trick

4. Oh I forgot. The trick with using sorbolene as a moisturiser (probably all moisturisers) is not to dry the skin. Just wrap bub in a towel to get off the surplus but apply the sorbolene to damp skin. The whole objective is to ensure that water is retained on and in the skin.

5. My friend's sister covered her baby with E45 which I think was suggested by doc - only to find that the little one was allergic to citric acid, which is one of the ingredients in it.

6. Moisturise, moisturise and moisturise.
    Please be careful of E45 though as Gorgy says, as my HV told me to use it on my daughter when she was a tiny baby, and with a very short time it looked like she had been scalded.
    E45 has lanolin in and many people are allergic to it without knowing, especially those with eczema.
    The baby eczema will eventually go away, and the besy way to stop it is moisturising and a really thin layer of hydrocortisone to really inflamed areas.
    Mine both had it, and it did settle in time.

7. Do you have an emollient for the bath, such as oilatum? It makes them really slippery, but it is good as well.
    Put the moisturiser on as often as every hour.

8. Takes some trial and error to find an emollient cream that will work - my brother has chronic eczema so bad his consultant described it as the worst case he'd ever seen in a child and went through, in order - aqueous, E45 and diprobase before settling on one that he didn't develop a sensitivity to (the diprobase did the trick in the end - he still gets through 2 big pump action dispensers a month of the stuff). He also doesn't use soap and uses the diprobase mixed with a little water to wash himself.
    Oilatum or Balneium for the bath (and I know I've spelt that second one wrong) work as well - but they are slippery as heck (I can vouch for that one) and make your bath go dead gunky and horrible over the long-term!
    If it carries on into toddler years and you've got to put cream on every day - catching a freshly greased toddler trying to do a runner from you putting pants on them is a fun and entertaining experience - I used to have to get little bro bathed and dressed in the morning when my mother was ill and he'd regularly try to leg it while nice and slippery!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

We must have tried almost every kind of cream with our son. Settled on Oilatum which works well. There are some food triggers which trigger it - tomatoes is one. He's 5 now and it is really well controlled - just the occassional bit behind the knees.

10. It does not suit everyone but have you looked at diet? I gave up dairy products and then wheat ( baby had a reaction to a baby rusk) when my baby had eczema and I was breastfeeding. It helped an awful lot. Some people do not believe that diet and eczema can be connected but each to his own!

11. Tartuffe

Tartuffe New commenter

Our eldest son was the worst - we tried everything - ended up doing something called wet wrapping.
    I think the company which makes them is called Tubifast.
    After a bath with Aqueous cream - liberal amounts of aqueous cream applied. Then a layer of wet bandages - arms, legs and trunk - and at one stage ahelmet type hood. Then a layer of dry bandages and then pure cotton layer. A real pain to put on - a two person job, but it did allow him to sleep in peace for several hours and to play as normal during the day

12. Thanks, I don't think she is that bad at the moment and I hope it doesn't get that bad. That must be so horrible to watch your son like that- for something so 'normal' it does seem to have a big impact on lives.

I will be looking at diet, I am eating loads of dairy at the moment.... so it could be that... Ahghhhh. I love cheese. Trial and error really, only the error bit isn't fun.

13. inq

inq

Littlest Inq had horrific exzema - now ok-ish but one thing that helped (for a while) was filling a sock with porridge oats and tying it so that warm bath water ran over it leaving bath cloudy. It seemed to soothe her skin. The oats could be reused for quite a while until water stopped going cloudy. As a teenager Aveeno was prescribed and worked well and I think that is oat based.
    Generally we found anything worked for a short while and then became ineffective after a bit, this was the same with prescribed creams too.

14. housesparrow

housesparrow New commenter

Please don't beat yourself up about breastfeeding, I exclusively breastfed my son and by 4 weeks he was covered in eczema. In time he grew out of it, he is now 21 and has very little eczema, but yes bathtimes and creams were a real issue between 0-5yrs, as someone else has said, tubigrip is also very helpful in keeping cream in place and also preventing scratching access. The main ways of coping with it was to keep him in dungarees and then long trousers once he was potty trained so that his legs weren't available to be scratched and I also used to put him to bed in mittens and socks as bed was where most of the scratching occurred. I made the mittens out of cotton socks with a line of stitching run around the top so that I could put in a tape which allowed the mittens to be tied on, and did the same with the socks otherwise they were too easy to pull off and toenails scratch just as well as fingernails. He didn't object to this, it was all he had ever known, and he could still handle toys through the socks. When he was old enough to understand it was suggested by an expert that I teach him to respond to the itching by him (not me!!!) smacking himself where it itched, this provides a different sensation which distracts from the itching and is not skin-wrecking like scratching can be.

15. My OH had eczema as a baby. My late MIL bathed him in olive oil, nothing else touched his skin. She always said it was a pain at the time but after a few weeks the eczema disappeared and never returned!!
    Luckily my own children didn't inherit eczema but I was prepared to do the same!

16. Take care to check experience/qualifications of herbalist. Good luck.

17. At one point my brother was actually prescribed UV light treatment (basically a glorified higher-tech sunbed) which, while it did make a massive difference, he kicked off spectacularly against because of the enclosed space... could be why people's seem to clear up when at the beach and not just sea water? Just a thought. Like I said before though - lil bro's was at absolutely desperation levels for most of his childhood - the hospital consultants even tried things like hypnotism and the like on him and he spent a lot of time head to toe in bandages as a kid. People used to stop us in the street and ask us what was wrong with his skin (at least they asked and didn't just point and stare I guess).
    My mother (forever a sun worshipper) was begging them to let her go in with him to top up her tan... yeah mum riiiight! Then again - my mother's the one who complained the sun went in when she was sunbathing... in the middle of a solar eclipse.
    One that sets me right off with instant results is if I change soap powder - I've used the same brand of soap powder for about a decade, I can use some other stuff but it's not worth the risk and waste of cash to buy new stuff and it to set me off scratching again. Fairly easy one to monitor and eliminate at least that one (for me bizarrely enough I know Daz is a safe bet so I cling to it desperately).

18. People in Australia get plenty of sunlight and plenty of eczema. It is just the seawater that's good for the skin.
    A friend of mine had terrible eczema as a child. Her stepmother went down to the beach every single day to collect 3 buckets of seawater for the child to wash in. It was the only thing that she could use.

19. Isobel developed eczema december 09 when she was 8months old. controlled by hydrocortisone but I didn't like it, she's now 20months old. Use oilatum and worked really well.. but we ended up with her being diagnosed with a dairy intolerance which once we stopped her ezcema stopped as well.
    We have now not go ezcema but we use Weleda Baby Calendula bath products and really help keep the moisture in.