1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

baby due at end of september. How does maternity leave work?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kjimenez, Jan 19, 2011.

1. I wonder if anyone can help. My baby is due 25th September. I dont want to start my maternity leave in july at the begining of the holidays it is far too early. Can i go back to work for just a few days or even a week?

2. Hi kjimenez
    Have posted response on pregnancy :)
    pogo x

3. My baby was due at the start of October. I went on maternity leave from the first day of the Christmas term...about September 3rd or whatever it was that year.....

4. You can by all means go in for a week or so at the beginning of term- it's entirely up to you when your leave starts (with one or two conditions). If it were me at my school, I'd probably just do PPA cover for other teachers for the week as they wouldn't give me a class (primary) as that would be a ridiculous idea. It's perfectly normal and perfectly acceptable. All going well I'm due on 12th Sept and I plan to begin my maternity leave on the first day of the autumn term, thus being paid in full for the whole of August but not going back in Sept :)

5. DilysPrice

DilysPrice New commenter

As far as I'm aware you can put down maternity to start on the first day of september term in order to get paid for the summer. Congratulations!

6. Bioteach

Bioteach New commenter

Hello,

I was due 25th September 2010!! Very odd reading your post now my beautiful baby boy (born on the 8th Oct btw!) is sleeping in his cot!

Anyway I went back to work for the first week in Sept. Two of those days were inset and then for the other three I helped out in other peoples classes (I'm secondary science). It was tiring but I had a very easy pregnancy so really enjoyed catching up with everyone!

It's a great time to have a baby, I felt VERY rested after all the summer hols and then, in the end, 4 weeks maternity leave before he was born.

Good luck!

xx