1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby coming up for 1 year! Bottles/water/etc

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by amiable, Aug 5, 2011.

1. My LO is going to be 1 in just two weeks! Despite BLW going very well and LO eating a wide range of foods in 3 meals per day plus snacks he is still having 4 bottles of 6oz milk a day. I am not too bothered by the amount as I know they recommend around 20oz still but I am not having much luck getting him to drink out of anything but a bottle. He is not really interested in water, though he will occasionally have a little bit with meals. I have tried baby juice but he really doesn't like it.

How did you get your LO on to a cup? I don't mind him getting soaked when we're at home but it is a bit of a pain when we're out and about. Is it worth just switching to a cup and persevering until he gets the hang of it? Also I am loathe to get rid of his bedtime bottle as it really calms him down and gets him ready for sleep...will he just start to refuse the bottle of his own accord?

Any experiences of this would be much appreciated!

2. My LO is going to be 1 in just two weeks! Despite BLW going very well and LO eating a wide range of foods in 3 meals per day plus snacks he is still having 4 bottles of 6oz milk a day. I am not too bothered by the amount as I know they recommend around 20oz still but I am not having much luck getting him to drink out of anything but a bottle. He is not really interested in water, though he will occasionally have a little bit with meals. I have tried baby juice but he really doesn't like it.

How did you get your LO on to a cup? I don't mind him getting soaked when we're at home but it is a bit of a pain when we're out and about. Is it worth just switching to a cup and persevering until he gets the hang of it? Also I am loathe to get rid of his bedtime bottle as it really calms him down and gets him ready for sleep...will he just start to refuse the bottle of his own accord?

Any experiences of this would be much appreciated!

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son was 2 in June and still has a bedtime bottle! He drinks out of a cup no problems (although i can't remember when he started doing this) but he likes the comfort of a bottle at bedtime, and it usually sends him off to sleep. I know we should probably cut it out soon, but we've just had another baby and i don't want to upset him.
    He had a cup with his name on (I got it from Debenhams) and he really liked that when he was younger. Now he has a cup that looks like a bottle (as in a diet coke kind of bottle) and he really likes that.
    He was on about 5 or 6 bottles a day until 18 months by the way because he was hardly eating. It hasn't done him any harm!

4. My LO will drink water at a push but I tend to put juice in (don simon) just to flavour it - he will drink loads of it then. Have you tried different juices? My sisters LO had a bottle until my LO was born (only night time one) he was 3. My sister persuaded him to give it up by saying that he had to give them to my LO. I wouldn't worry at 1. I know they say its better for their teeth etc blah blah blah blah but if he is happy I'd leave him be.

5. My LO has just turned one and has two 8 oz bottles of cow's milk a day, morning and bedtime. I started him on cup round 6 months (not much help to you i know!) and it took him aaaaaaages to get the hang of it. He'll happily drink water from it but just spits his milk out. I was hoping to get him to take the morning milk from his cup as I know they like their bedtime bottle for ages yet. He gets his teeth cleaned after his nighttime bottle so i'm not too worried about his teeth.
    I think perseverence is the key. I kept offering the cup at every meal and was getting fed up with it until he took it one day. Or try a few different cups? I know that for soem bottles you can get handles like those on a sippy cup to help the transition, or you can get cups without handles to be more like a bottle.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Lots f peple keep bedtime bttles till bout 3 years, but could be a prblem if they are drinking sugaryjuice. Let him watch other kids with cups he'll get there. Know some perfectly brighgt and healthy kids who had several bottles of milk a day when they were older than yurs. srry my o key is sticking, can't be bthered going thru and hammering it

7. I wouldnt stress about the stopping bottles at 1 thing if he is happy just continue. I think they say that to discourage people from weaning from bf onto bottles at that age. Just dont put coke in one to keep him quiet in the pushchair :)