1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby coming to school...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzii_2008, Nov 29, 2011.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I have a baby coming into the classroom (long story with regards to staff member) but I have to plan things that relate to the baby and use him as an advantage if you like...
    We previously had a baby in and looked at what a baby needs to be cared for so really looking for other ideas?!
    Anything would be great, I just can't think right now!
    Will have the 'home' role play corner available with dolls etc.

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I have a baby coming into the classroom (long story with regards to staff member) but I have to plan things that relate to the baby and use him as an advantage if you like...
    We previously had a baby in and looked at what a baby needs to be cared for so really looking for other ideas?!
    Anything would be great, I just can't think right now!
    Will have the 'home' role play corner available with dolls etc.

3. bettyboop82

bettyboop82 New commenter

We've had a baby and mother in to visit during a growth and change topic where we looked at the difference between the baby, themselves as 4 year olds and us as adults (size/teeth/hair/language/ability, etc) then the mother gave him a bath in the classroom and some children helped. It was lovely x

4. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

My 30 yr old and 14 yr old were both bathed as babies in nursery, just in the water tray! We always try and find a willing parent and baby to come and be bathed, the children love it and the babies have never seemed to mind either!

5. How old is the baby? I LOVE having a baby come in, but it's visit falls into the 'incidental learning' category every time.
    Ask the kids to think of a question to ask the baby's mother. Answer honestly, but without getting caught up in 'emotive' conversations.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Isn't most learning incidental when you're three?

I didn't go to nursery [back in the fifties] but I have many fond memories of those lovely times. One of my favourites is of going along with my grandmother who worked for a while in a baby and toddler clinic in her local church hall. The babies!
    It would be lovely if the mother could feed her baby.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Katycustard "always try and find a willing <u>parent</u> and baby to come and be bathed, "
    Don't think my water tray is big enough![​IMG]

8. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

A friend of mine bought her baby in when she was about 4 months old. She also brought some examples of the clothes the baby wore. Genius maths boy could work out how many weeks it would be until the baby could wear a certain outfit and how much longer she would fit into other clothes!

9. 12 years ago, one of our mums brought her baby into visit and the children became very interested in her weight. We ended up comparing her to bags of sugar - she was the same as 4.5 bags and when we had worked that out, we left them on a tray for the children (and their parents) to lift. Still do this when a newborn visits only we use flour these days - much healthier - and the children always love it.