1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby Asthma?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by beyondexcited, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have just had my 6 months old LO to the doctors and she has come away with antibiotics and an inhaler puffer and mask! And Im freaking out a bit.
    She has had a poor chest for months now, a little bit wheezy etc and always seems to have had a cough. Doctors before have said its fone and nothing to worry about. However last few days she has had a hacking cough and her chest sounds the worst I have heard it, I took her to surgery and she saw a doctor she has previously seen before. He said he could hear her chest when we walked into the room. He had a listen and prescribed antibiotics for her cough and a blue inhaler with a mask. He wouldnt be drawn on whether it is asthma (her dad has it) but said to use puffer all weekend and come back on Monday.
    Im really worried, she is fine though! By that I mean she isnt 'ill', feeding, sleeping, playing as normal so but her chest sounds awful. I have just been crying while we played on the bed.
    Has anyone else had experience of this? Is it likely to be asthma or more likely to be linked to her cough?

Thanks in advance

2. Hi, just a quick message to say we are wondering if our LO has asthma at the mo as she has an awful, very dry night time cough; going to wait a while to see if it doesn't get any better or gets worse.
    However I know children can suffer from asthma and grow out of it- my brother, the daughter of a colleague, and one of my friends all had it as a child. With any luck if she has got it then hopefully she'll grow out of it. Stay positive x

3. Hi,

My LO had a bad case of croup 6 months ago when he was 10 months old. We were referred from the doctors to the hospital for him to be given steroids and observed. As my husband is asthmatic we asked if this was related and were told thet doctors don't diagnose asthama until at least 2 years. However, he did say that they can often predict which children may be more likley to develop it and with an asthmatic father plus the severity of the croup, my son would be a prime candidate.

4. beyondexcited - i could have written that post. My LO has got a cold on top of the end of another one and has swallowed so much snot! His chest sounds really rattly so I took him to docs and he told me to monitor it and come back next when he would prescribe an inhaler! My LO is 5.5 months and we have no family history of asthma. He was really horrible as well, made me feel like a terrible mother, and basically implied was I was lying when I told him we didn't smoke! He also said LO had a dry patch on his face and said 'you need to put cream on that, he doesn't deserve a rough face'. I religiously put cream on the child's face - I felt so upset.
    I've heard this too.
    Hope you and LO are ok x x x

5. Leeds what a horrible man! Why do some doctors deal witrh patients like that? He must have seen you were stressed already. I would definately see another doc for follow up appointment.
    Well Maisie has had her puffer 3 times now and its actually very easy and much less stressful to administer than I thought. It hasnt made any difference to her chest but I suppose it is very early days. She has had 3 doses of antibiotic medicine for cough too and that does seem to have helped a bit. Her nose is also running like a tap so Im wondering if she has another cold or that may be as a result of teething?
    Im going to try to pin the doc down on Monday as to what this actually could be. I have heard they cant diagnose asthma until 2 but why else would he give her a puffer?
    Anyway Thank You for your replies.
    xx

6. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

The ventolin will relieve the wheezing whether or not it is asthma. Wheezing is associated with chest infections and bronchitis as well as asthma. My girls both have hay fever and eczema. The older one is also allergic to egg and dairy and before she was diagnosed with the allergies she was developing distinct asthma symptoms. Once these were eliminated from her diet the asthma symptoms disappeared except for when she is getting over a viral infection and they come back at night. They younger one who has worse seasonal hayfever also wheezes when the hay fever is at its worse. She has the blue inhaler for seasonal hay fever. The older one has the blue and brown inhaler but now that I am writing about it, she hasn't used either for many months. She is nearly 6 now so I think she must be getting over whatever she is sensitised to or her lungs can cope better. Egg allergy is definitely hereditary on her father's side of the family as is eczema.
    I am also aware that they don't like to diagnose asthma before 2 and my dd was over 2 when it was diagnosed. Part of the reason as I understand it is that their lungs are not fully mature till two so they are more susceptible to wheezing etc with viral infections.

7. Hi,
    My boy is 14 months. He has had about 8 chest infections including 2 hospital stays. We have a blue, a green and a brown inhaler. He hasn't been offically diagnosed with asthma but our GP and the consultant at the hospital have said it is. I've been told they won't diagnose it until 5 but will treat the symptons.
    I understand what you mean when you say not ill, my son (when he's bad) plays away very happily but sounds like a 90 year old smoker - happy little wheezers the doctor calls it. And we're always told his chest can be heard down the corridor when we're at the doctors.
    It is a worry, I'm hopeful (and have been told many times) that he probably will grow out of it by time he's 5. But I feel like we're ALWAYS at the doctors!
    The puffer has got easier to give, we let him hold it and mess with it and make it into a game. We have a humidifier in his room to keep the air moist if the heating is on.
    I understand what you mean by being freaked out, hopefully it won't be asthma and is a chest infection. When they're small they can catch things so easily and as their pipes in their chest are so tiny they can get bunged up so easily.
    I hope your wee one gets better soon
    xxx

8. My daughter had bronchiolitis over the winter and it was exactly like you are describing - she also was prescribed lots of inhalers and such like. She also (once over the double ear infection and conjunctivitis she started with!) was absolutely fine except for the cough and wheeze. It was horrid and frightening and the Dr freaked me out when she said that, without intensive steroid inhaler treatment she may need hospitalisation.
    The bad news was it lasted for nearly 3 months.
    The good news is that since it went away she's been totally and utterly fine. She breathes a little heavily when she exerts herself but then again so do most people, and she is learning to walk (and dash around!) at the moment so is raising her heartrate properly for the first time.
    I have been diagnosed with allergic asthma this year (brought on by pregnancy / birth of daughter!!) and both myself and my daughter have sensitive skin. But whilst she may or may not be asthmatic in future, she is absolutely great at the moment - no trace of the bugs and wheeze she had so badly over the winter months. I too had a bug that lingered in my chest for weeks and weeks and don't think her illness was linked to asthma.