1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Babies first shoes?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by moomoon, May 24, 2011.

1. Hello
    I am just wondering when you first put babies in shoes?
    My daughter has now just started walking around the table (blooming hell, that is hard work) and spends all day on her feet on furniture, she even tries to stand in the bath!
    I know clarks sell crawlers and cruisers, but I am unsure if shoes are a waste of time until they are walking properly outside?
    Thanks

2. Hello
    I am just wondering when you first put babies in shoes?
    My daughter has now just started walking around the table (blooming hell, that is hard work) and spends all day on her feet on furniture, she even tries to stand in the bath!
    I know clarks sell crawlers and cruisers, but I am unsure if shoes are a waste of time until they are walking properly outside?
    Thanks

3. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I don't know, but I do remember reading something about how certain shoes with inflexible soles (like baby-size trainers) can damage the foot and stop it developing properly. I can't remember much more but it said that a shoe which mimics barefootedness is the best.
    I have seen a baby wearing some funky sheepskin-leather-soled, knitted booties- they're great as they lace on and won't fall off, but are sturdy enough for first steps.

4. I would wait as long as possible for shoes. It is better in early stages to stay bare foot as much as possible. I went for shoes when she was walking outside and her first shoes were pre-walkers. Have a look here http://www.healthylittlefeet.com/ At the beginning we were paying £30 every 6 weeks, now its down to every 3 months

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We didn't get shoes for our son until he was walking confidently and likely to be walking outside. I didn't see the point before that. We used to have people commenting on how nice it was to see a baby with bare feet in his pushchair.

6. I bought cruisers a few weeksago, before she was walking unaided, purely because she wanted to be walking outside holding one hand. In our own garden I was happy for her to do that in bare feet but at the park I wanted her to have something a bit more substantial on her feet. It is expensive though, and if your lo is happy not to walk outside for the time being then hold off as ong as possible.

7. We are barefoot as much as possible. Mostly because he keeps whipping the socks off. I keep finding little socks all round the house.
    Felt like a bad mummy today as three people commented on how cold his wee toes must be when we were in a shop - we had to go hunt for the missing socks.

8. They would love my son then! At 18 months he has still never worn a pair of shoes and as he can't even stand yet let alone walk I think it will stay that way for a few months yet. I did try soft pram shoes in the winter to keep his feet warmer but the few times we tried them on he went mad and started hitting them [​IMG] so they never made it out of his bedroom!

9. My sisters little boy walked at about 19 months- she saved a fortune in shoes, I walked at about 18/19 months so was hoing baby would be a late walker and save the money,,, still, she isn't there yet- so. I am hoping we don't have to invest too soon- so much money. She pulled her socks off today and lost them in town, would have been livid if it were a pair of shoes!

10. The best shoes for staying on are the old fashioned T bar buckles. They cannot undo them. Avoid anything with velcro!