1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Babies at weddings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, May 13, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Matthew 19:14
    if it's in church

2. I really don't think that I would worry about a baby upstaging me at a wedding.... OK, they would get some attention but how many people can a married couple talk to at any one time? My nephew got plenty of attention, as did my beautiful flower girl--- and so did I. To be insecure about babies getting more attention.
    It is up the the bride and the groom and I would respect anyones wishes.
    My daughter is off to a wedding this year and will certainly be removed if she is a pain.! Must remember to sit at the back and on the edge.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

If it can eat more cake, drink more booze and dance till dawn i might worry a bit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSBnNA_dHNU

4. WoW

I would be so completely at odds with this

So I guess it has to be up to the B&G if this is the way some people feel

If a child is welcome anywhere then they should be welcome at a church service

5. If the Bride and Groom have invited babies then why not take them - it's cheaper than paying fora baby sitter!
    Having said that CB I think if OH really doesn't want the baby there you should ask why he is so anti this. It may be he thinks he will have to spend all day on edge looking after bambino ensuring they don't cry through the service, speeches etc and that it will mean he won't be able to enjoy himself or relax.

Not sure what the answer is in this case - sorry.

6. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Blimey, my toddler nephew was a page boy and my cousin's toddler a flower girl. If little ones cry they go out and anyone so worried about their "big day" should just lighten up and not take themselves so seriously IMO.xx
    [​IMG]

7. How much do people think babies actually cry?! It is entirely possible for a baby to be happily settled for the duration of a wedding service, or jiggled around off to one side to soothe them.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's also perfectly possible for a baby to bawl throughout!

9. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

That's exactly it. I do sympathise and I hope she would be as good as she usually is- but at the same time, I don't want to miss the wedding of one of my oldest friends, and as I know it's going to be quite a relaxed affair and other babies will be there, I just think we'll take turns to run off if she is noisy. It does at least give him an excuse to miss the church part- he'll probably sit it out with her (unless she goes to sleep at that moment, haha!).
    Leaving her would be hard as she's still exclusively breast-fed and probably will still be by the time the wedding rolls around. We're trying to get her to take a bottle of expressed milk, as that would give me particularly more flexibility, but she's not a fan at the moment!

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

i don't like the idea of blanket exclusion but if I has a small child i would rather leave them at home if possible so that i could enjoy the event properly.. Otherwise it is just dependent on how responsible and unselfish the ones with the babies are. Hopefully people know their friends well enough to judge this. Bit awkward if some are good parents and others are thoughtless as you can;'t really ban one without the other. Babies are part of family life though and should be there. I couldn't really have left mine with anybody else when they were babies so they would have had to go.

11. Yes.
    However, a concensus will never be reached as some wish for a child-free day, some consider that the day should include children.
    I could not imagine a wedding without children or babies. Others cannot imagine one with them.

12. Oh - and congratulations!!!!!!
    I missed that baby number 2 is already here!

13. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Me?
    Thank you if me- but only No.1!

14. Oh drat it - there are TWO chicas! I have made that mistake before! And the other chica is/was expecting baby no. 2!
    Congratulations nontheless!!! I still managed to miss that you were pregnant, let alone now a mother!
    [​IMG]

15. I had this issue when we got married as all our friends have children. I spoke to my closest friends to gauge their opinions and they were keen to have a lovely day with their partners and that we shouldn't be worried about offending anyone.
    The only children we had at the church were family. My husband's cousin has a little girl who is a nightmare and had to be removed for throwing a tantrum. She was 2 at the time but others had smaller babies who were angels. We found a web site that created age appropriate gift boxes to entertain during the speeches etc.
    I couldn't imagine a reception without children, but I fully understand why people choose not to invite them.

16. When I got married I asked the people before hand if they wanted their kids there, I htink there was only one wee baby in the end but about a dozen children ranging from 2-12. I was really cheesed off to see that at my cousin's wedding next month my little boy isn't invited. I really had expected him to be invited as it's a family thing.
    If it had been a friend's wedding I wouldn't have minded at all!

17. Is it explicit on the invitation?
    I have never been to a wedding where children were not welcome. I have never actually been to a wedding where the invitation said "just you and your partner". I think this may be a UK thing.
    An evening do is different. Although my evening do was full of kids dancing with the grannies and grandads.

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

When my step-son got married last year it was stated on the invites 'no children'. The reason given was so the adults could party on! However, his haf sister (9) and half brother (8) were invited but I was not! As they say, you can choose your friends but not your family.
    It therefore came as no surprise to anyone that when Mr Belle and I got married we went abroad and invited no-one. We didn't even tell his family.

19. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

CQ, you were thinking of me, and I am a mummy of 2 now! My little girl was born on Thurs.
    As for weddings.....if i were invited to one and the invite said 'no kids' then i would respect that. Personally, i think kids at weddings are fine - they are family occasions after all. We had a couple of young kids at our wedding.
    We took my son to a wedding when he was 4 months old and he was fine, you wouldn't have known he was there. We also went to my brother's wedding when my son was 11 months old and again he wasn't a problem, and we sat right at the front. When you get married you're so focussed on your vows and just nervous that i don't think you'd notice a baby making noise anyway!!

20. We requested no children or babies at ours. After years of fertility problems we really wanted a day where our inadequacies weren't rubbed in our faces and didn't want the "awww so when you gonna have one... here hold them hold them hold them" situations things would have provoked (I don't think it's unreasonable to have wanted ONE day free from that).
    A relative decided to ignore it completely and roll up and present me with a fait accompli anyway - resulting in various delightful incidents like my mother going gooey and telling me it was time I made her a grandmother. Nice to end up crying in the loos on your "special day" huh?
    I will never ever ever forgive the relative who did that. I don't think it's fair that half of our special day was spent feeling backed into a corner and our wishes completely trampled on. She's also subsequently been requested not to bring her baby to a family funeral (my mum's got very strong views about funerals not being appropriate for children until they're older)... and ignored that one as well - nice girl she is.