1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Babies at weddings

Discussion in 'Personal' started by doomzebra, May 13, 2011.

1. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Depends on whether the bride has stopped breast-feeding yet

2. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

:-D
    And what about babies belonging to guests?

3. doomzebra

I'm not sure it would be appropriate for the bride to breast feed babies belonging to guests

4. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

Would be a talking point though.

5. It's totally up to the bride and groom, obviously. I have a 20 month child, and I must admit at the last wedding we were (all) invited to I spent a lot of the service on edge in case she started yakking too loudly or grizzling. As it was, her dad was on it and at the first hint of possible noise, he was outside with her in a flash. Good man.

6. Yeah, aren't we great?

;-p

7. doomzebra

I agree that it is entirely up to the bride and groom, taking into account the size/scale of the ceremony and the chance of the parents of the babies behaving appropriately.
    My own view is that babies should be welcomed at wedding ceremonies as an entirely appropriate indicator of the meaning of the day

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

You mean that the babies should serve as a warning to those who might be tempted to partake in a drunken fumble towards the end of the reception?

9. doomzebra

Precisely

10. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Yes they'll do anything to get out of a wedding!!!!!

11. Ha, yes. In his words, 'They're your friends so I don't mind missing the vows'...

12. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I hoped this would work with OH. However, he's so anti babies-at-weddings that although we're all invited, he'd rather not go at all than go with ours. I think it'd be fine s long as we're alert. There will be other babies there. It's hard to picture a compromise here!

Also would you leave early so that bedtime can be observed as normal?

13. There you go...problem solved. You go and enjoy the day and the evening and let grumpy knickers stay at home and look after the rug rat.

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

I don't much care for the sort of stuffy or glamour-island weddings that leave out genereations.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

generations [​IMG]

16. I like babies at weddings, but it is up to the bride and groom.
    My LO was breastfed and I would have had a very hard time leaving her for a whole day when she was below 6 months. I do think parents should be prepared to take babies out of the room if they are loud- but most are, I think.

My sister left our wedding at 7ish with her 7 month old- which was fine, she'd done all the important bits and just missed the dancing. I like having generations there- to me, it was a celebration of family and for our family. I'm not sure who she would have left my nephew with if we'd banned him.... I doubt she would have come.
    We're off to a wedding next week with our 9 month old- hopefully will manage the whole day and leave early evening when she starts getting tired. She will then sleep in the car.

17. Definitely no! It is up to the bride and groom but the problem is that the babies can completely take over. They cry in the service, then they become the centre of attention! That might sound selfish, but if it is the bride and groom's day, then there can only be one centre of attention and that is the newly married couple. There is a time and a place for kids to be invited. I don't see it a problem for them to be at the meal or the reception, but I don't think it is appropriate at the service.

18. If they cry during the service then the parents can take them out, if they cry during the speeches at the reception then again the parents can take them out. However I do feel it is up to the bride and groom.

19. I'm all for it. We know that few can manage a whole baby at one sitting, but at a reception, there are plenty of guests, so providing a few sproglets will cut down on the catering bill.
    But what I think is totally inappropriate is babies at christenings.

cyolba, descendent of the baby eating bishop of bath and wells :)

20. Yep It's up to the Bride and Groom.
    I like babies at weddings and while they're bound to get some attention they would never upstage the happy couple.
    I'd prefer to exclude some of the parents, and lets face it babies are never problem parents are.