1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baba ganoush recipe (lapinrose?)

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by found nemo, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hi
    Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe? I've never made it before. Someone linked to a recipe on a thread from last year when I despairing of what to do with my aubergines, but the link doesn't exist any more. Thanks!

2. Hi
    Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe? I've never made it before. Someone linked to a recipe on a thread from last year when I despairing of what to do with my aubergines, but the link doesn't exist any more. Thanks!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'll be back in half an hour, just got to get breakfast for o/h, night shift!!

4. Thanks!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Pierce 4 aubergines all over and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes, turning 2-3 times to make sure its cooked evenly. Allow to cool slightly, then scoop out the flesh and mash it into a puree with a fork or pulse in a blender. Crush 3 cloves of garlic with about half a tsp of salt into a paste. Add the juice of 1-2 lemons to taste and about 4 heaped tbsp of tahini paste. Combine all of the ingredients together and serve at room temp.

6. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

7. It is even better to cook the aubergines over a barbecue or gas ring until the skins are blackened, if you can. That gives the dish a lovely smoky flavour.
    A touch of cumin is a good addition too.

8. Thanks all. Aubergines just popped into the oven. Will report back later!

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Shame on me, I've never heard of baba ganoush until now!
    It sounds scrumptious and I'll be on the lookout for aubergines in the shopping next week. Slightly concerned that tahini will be a bit of a struggle to obtain, but hoping that either the big new Tesco or the health food shop will have it.

10. egyptgirl

Try Holland & Barrett if you have one near you, Manashee. They always have it in stock but DO NOT buy the 'light' version which is awful, awful stuff.

11. egyptgirl

Mum used to do this but I stopped because the last cooker we owned was just awful, awful, awful. Maybe its time to see how the new cooker copes with it?!

12. It was very good! A little to heavy on the garlic but fantastic with lamb kofta and salad.

13. egyptgirl

Glad you enjoyed it! It is my Mum's method and she does love her garlic! Its how I'm used to eating it, but I'm sure you could scale it down for next time!

14. henriette

henriette New commenter

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

CQ and I can provide the entertainment as well!!

<ul align="center" id="yschimg"><li style="width:16.5833%;padding-top:22px;height:199px;" align="center" id="td7">[​IMG]<h3>
    </h3>[/LIST]

16. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Hi egyptgirl - the aubergines are roasting in the oven right now and all the other ingredients are mixed together at the ready!
    Got a nice big jar of dark tahini at H&B, as you advised (thanks again!), so I'll be able to make lots more baba after this batch.
    Will let you know how it goes later on today, but I think I can safely say I already know I'm going to love it. [​IMG]

17. egyptgirl

Let me know how you get on Manashee!
    The tahini is also fantastic for making hummus and...so many other yummy things!

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh boy, that was so, so good! My kitchen smells gorgeous - all smoky, lemony, garlicy and nutty. [​IMG]
    And really easy too. Thanks so much for the recipie, egyptgirl.
    I love hummus and I have quite a few cans of chickpeas stockpiled, so that'll be next on the agenda. [​IMG]

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I bought loads of stuff back from Jordan last time I went, tahini, spices, moughrabiah, za'attar, so manashee as well as seeing the aeroplanes and pilots at Airbourne, you'll be fed Arabic food.

20. egyptgirl

He he! Glad you enjoyed it, Manashee!