1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BA/BSc Honours Degree and teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by behindprivateeyes, Dec 5, 2011.

1. If you were thinking of becoming an Early Years practitioner than this is possible but best to speak to university departments. If Primary, it is worth asking some headteachers how they feel as PGCE versus degree.

2. HotChoca

HotChoca New commenter

Thanks. I contacted a few teacher training places and got mixed responses, so I've gone for the safer option and picked a NC subject (Science)

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Some of the best primary training providers don't give a s*** about national curriculum subject degrees, and IMO rightly so. I can do science up to A level....how would doing it at degree level help me teach 11 year olds? Or EYFS children (which I assume you're interested in as you mention early childhood studies). If you want to do secondary, that's different, obviously. Personally I think having a great understanding of early childhood development would be infinitely more helpful than the ability to do degree level science if you want to teach young children.
    I went to Oxford Brookes for my PGCE, people in my group had degrees in: psychology (me), early childhood studies, law, business, english literature, HR, sociology - all sorts! I also had an interview at Reading prior to Brookes and they were happy with my degree. In fact it wasn't until I started on the course that I even found out some unis demandeed a NC subject.
    My understanding of psycholgoy has helped me understand autism, dyslexia and other developmental disorders. The biological part of my degree has not helped me in teaching at all.
    Go for the childhood studies if that's what you want :) No point spending 3 years studying for a degree you're not that interested in!

4. I'm a primary teacher in my third year of teaching. I had a social work diploma and did two top-up modules at level 3 with the Open University. I chose both modules because they were convenient, and all I wanted were the bits of paper that got me the degree and enabled me to teach. The degree I came out with was a BSc Hons in Health and Social Care. Not at all national curriculum subjects.

I can't recommend the OU highly enough - they were fantastic. With both modules, I learned a HUGE amount, and even though I only wanted the bit of paper for the certificate, I actually got FAR FAR more. I did have the discussion about the relevance of my degree with my school, but it was short, didn't cause any problems, and has never been mentioned since. I don't know what degrees most of my colleagues have - once you have the job, the daily knowledge of all subjects at primary level is what counts, and that is a very different skill indeed to the initial degree.

So, choose what you WANT to spend time and money studying, and yes, I thoroughly recommend the OU in every way possible.