1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

b/d confusion and spelling tests

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rosylee, Dec 1, 2011.

1. I take a pupil for one to one spelling help. He is doing very well on a spelling scheme and his confidence has rocketed. However he has a b/d confusion which shows on his spelling tests. He can spell the words correctly verbally. When he has the errors pointed out he knows immediately that he has written b/d the wrong way round.
    Should I be marking his written spellings right or wrong when he does this? I am inclined to mark them correctly if he can tell me the correct letter. However, when it comes to SAT testing, etc I think I may be doing him an injustice as he will get down marked, because the spelling will be wrong.
    Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

How old is he? You definitely need to keep reminding him to check if 'those pesky letters have jumped the wrong way round'. But it matters not an awful lot in SATs.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. The pupil is 10 and in year 5. Thanks for the advice. The dyslexia centre link is brilliant..thank you Msz. I shall make good use of it!