1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Azamara cruises

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by littlejackhorner, Aug 23, 2019.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I received my lump sum last year and always planned a luxury holiday with some of my lump sum. Unfortunately last year we were kept busy with my mother in law who has now sadly passed away. We are now able to have our treat holiday and I had considered a river cruise. Ihave now revised that idea and am planning a med cruise with Azamara. Their ships are bigger than river boats but not too big. Has anyone cruised with them before? Would you consider them worth the money? It is expensive but I don't mind if its worth the premium price.

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Hi.....
    www.cruisecritic.com for al sorts of info

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forum/362-azamara/

the 2nd is specificities to Azamara

I am not familiar with the company as I always sail Celebrity and find them very good. (Not many children at all esp in term time which is a big consideration)
    You can get info there on what type of room you would like, best positions/rooms on the ship, itineraries etc.

Once you have chosen a specific cruise you can them see of there is a 'roll call' for that specific cruise - that is where you can ' meet' people who are booked on the same cruise. That can be very handy for clubbing together to arrange private tours at the destinations/stops and can prove a great saving on the companies offered excursions.

Shout out if you have any other general queries.... I suppose one could call me a 'seasoned' cruiser these days.... 14 days to my next :)

Helen

littlejackhorner likes this.
  3. HelenREMfan

@littlejackhorner
    Western or Eastern med? I have done a few cruises to the western med.and done a good few of the ports....

i like to sail from Southampton..... as you get 2 sea days to chill and destress.... no air flights so no luggage restrictions...

You might want to give Celebrity a look..... am off in 2 weeks .... Gib, Marseille, Ports for Florence and Rome, then Corsica, Barcelona then Lisbon and 2 sea days back.14 nights in all and 7 sea days :)
    I really like the Celebrity product......

4. littlejackhorner

Thanks Helen for the comprehensive reply. I've had a quick look at the website. It looks very useful. Not sure about the 'meeting " other people due to do the same cruise. My husband is like a younger version of Victor Meldrew so he wouldn't appreciate doing excursions with others! To be honest we do like independent travel and I enjoy researching and planning so we will probably use public transport and organise our own excursions.

5. littlejackhorner

Thanks. I will have a look at what celebrity offer. I want a fly cruise. We will organise our own flights and then combine it with a stay before or after the cruise. The cruise I had considered was a variety of French ports around the south of France and Corsica.

6. HelenREMfan

Well...wise.... give me a shout as have learned thru experience a fair amount of stuff.

I did a great planned trip over 2 days in St Petersburg with 3 other couples...2 american and one brit. It worked really well and we save loads as ships' prices can be pretty expensive.
    AS well as the Azamara section you can research general stuff about the Med on the site as there are loads of posts - most really helpful and tips how to get best value.