1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Axia - the best vent in the world

Discussion in 'Personal' started by luvinit, Jan 28, 2011.

1. This is a new place to blow your top - if calm enough I may reply otherwise I'll just kick the cat...

my current annoyance(!) is my adorable 19 yo stepdaughter - gosh it must be sooo hard for you being young beautiful and earning only a net 1600 a month while supporting a makeup habit the size of the third world debt, throwing trantrums any teo year old would be jealous of, refusing to do anything around the house because you don't get pocket money any more and refusing to pay anything towards the bills because you don't earn nothing...as you don't contribute you get no food in this house any more and by the way speak to me like that once more and you'll be spending all of your cash on reparative surgery.
    rant over...mission accomplished

2. This is a new place to blow your top - if calm enough I may reply otherwise I'll just kick the cat...

my current annoyance(!) is my adorable 19 yo stepdaughter - gosh it must be sooo hard for you being young beautiful and earning only a net 1600 a month while supporting a makeup habit the size of the third world debt, throwing trantrums any teo year old would be jealous of, refusing to do anything around the house because you don't get pocket money any more and refusing to pay anything towards the bills because you don't earn nothing...as you don't contribute you get no food in this house any more and by the way speak to me like that once more and you'll be spending all of your cash on reparative surgery.
    rant over...mission accomplished

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I can't thank you enough - I am so in need of a rant, I could explode!
    My current (make that perpetual) annoyance is the terminally vacant, toxic little insect that I have the misfortune to call 'my sister'. More neuroses than a bagful of mad things; the communication skills of a single cell organism; the emotional intelligence of fungus; possessed of the ability to try the patience of a SAINT (and I ain't no saint).
    Seriously love, does your heid button up the back?
    F*cktard!
    Ahhhhhh. And breathe... [​IMG]

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

A net 1600 a month is more than enough to live an independant life. Thousands manage on far less. Time to go.

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

!!!
    Bunch of fives on the snotbox time.

6. Lock up your white goods, she can hike her washing to the launderette and buy a cup of tea/coffeee from a national chain - and re-use the cardboard cups for heating soup in the microwave she is about to buy.
    Install one of those electricity monitors and charge her accordingly - or switch her off!
    Turn off her radiator and lock it down (remove the dial thing) - if she likes clothes she can layer up!

My cousin moved in with my parents when I moved out. Mum soon
    went on strike....it's surprising how soon dirty clothes etc mount up
    when you have a point to make! Might that be an option? Ask her to take care of her self, not to rely on your being house slave...
    As others have said she earns more than enough to live independently, have a word with her dad about all that extra loving he is missing.....
    And if all else fails scream back!! You aren't empoyed to be perfect!!

Sorry, not much of that was useful...... lots of hugs xx

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Before stnading your ground (no laundry etc)I suggest you sit down, show her the bills and spilt it three ways (if there is three of you) She needs to realise how much things cost.
    Whilst splitting it three ways may be alot of money you can alway put some of it aside and give it her back when she moves out (because from experience there is no way she'll put any savings aside on her own, and is far less likely to move out if its 'cushy' at home) Otherwise you need to start circling places for her to live in the local paper, you're not a charity and £1600 a month is double what I earn! x

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

luvinit: My eldest went through that phase during 6th Form, although she wasn't earning at the time. Nevertheless, the standard disputes about not tidying, wastefulness, taking all and giving nothing, and numerous other things culminated in her packing her bags and leaving home to live with her single mum pal who'd been given the obligatory council house. We let her go with a cheery 'and don't be ringing us up for any lifts either'. We knew where she was, and we knew she was safe enough. She was legally old enough to do as she pleased so how could we stop her?

Anyway, six weeks later we got this sheepish phone call - could we please pick her up with all the stuff she'd taken with her and bring her home? It was all tastefully packed in numerous Sainsbury's bags. We brought her home and politely inquired why she was back, having had six weeks free of tantrums etc. 'Oh X needed some space and it didn't seem fair to impose on her any more' came the vague reply.

The truth, as we found out later, was her friend had got sick to death of our eldest's not tidying, wastefulness, taking all and giving nothing etc and had shown her the door.

A few years down the line our eldest has been through Uni, managed on her own budget and has held down a job while paying all her own rent and bills, and has actually built up some savings. She is much more appreciative of the home comforts and the cost of living in general, and pays for much of her own food etc when at home. In short, they get the message eventually, but it can take time.

My advice? If your stepdaughter threatens to leave home, offer to make the sandwiches while she packs her bags, and tell her the first 30 miles in the family taxi are free.