1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AWR

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by HeyDuggee, Dec 7, 2019.

1. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

Morning all.
    Could anyone tell me if I am entitled to AWR? I am on day to day supply at the same school in a teacher role and am requested by them. I can be in the same subject for a few weeks at a time but usually I just turn up and find out on the day what I am covering. I have been there for about 4 years. I also go to another school every now and then, teacher role and its in the same LEA.

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

As far as I know, AWR kicks in after 12 continuous weeks in one school, not counting holidays. If you have a period of a week or two when you're not at the school, the clock resets.

3. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

I will have definitely been there for that by next week. Didn't know if I was eligible because the guidance says in the same role. I'm there as a teacher and it says this on my wage slips, but teaching different subjects, not one specific role.

4. agathamorse

It does have to be as one role, as far as I know. Check union guidance. I've only ever got AWR on long term roles as I wasn't a big fan of day to day.

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Isn't being a teacher the same role regardless of subject?
    I thought it just meant if you were used as a TA or Cover Supervisor your 12 weeks got reset. (Go back to Old Kent Road. Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200..)

agathamorse likes this.
  6. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

Thanks all. I might ring ACAS today to see of they can clarify.

7. agathamorse

Not sure. It's a weird world the world of supply. Also be prepared for the fact that the school or agency might decide to replace you with someone else if they have to start paying AWR.

8. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

Apparently they can get fined up to £20k if they do that!

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Even if you are eligible there is no guarantee these days that you will get it.

In any case I don't think you qualify because you are not (technically) on a long term continuous contract.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

I'm in Wales so I don't know if that makes a difference. Will confirm later when I've spoken to ACAS.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. HeyDuggee

HeyDuggee New commenter

According to ACAS i am eligible. They said if I have the same role, I have the same rights as a permanent employee after 12 weeks. They advised me to email my agency and they have 28 days to respond.

agathamorse likes this.