1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AWR what the ?????

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon715, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hello. I've read and re-read certain paragraphs of the AWR booklet, but parts of it still confuse me greatly. I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned this lately on this forum - I've been regularly checking in the hope that it might be, but have finally given up and re-registered so I can ask! So... if you work as a supply teacher for the same school for 12 weeks then you have to be treated to a new payscale and if you after that have more than a 6 week break from that school (not including school holidays) then you have to revert back to the original terms until you have done another 12 weeks on the trot. Now, my query is - in the initial 12 weeks, if you have a week off i.e you are asked to teach in a different school for a week to the one you usually teach in, does that mean you have to start from scratch again? Hope this makes sense - I bet Jubilee can help [​IMG]

2. tavypilgrim

tavypilgrim New commenter

In reality nobody is going to get moved up a pay scale or get paid in holidays etc. ,agencies will just ensure you never work in the same school often enough for this to happen. Particularly bad news for those that have a regular supply gig providing ppa cover.

3. I thought it was in the same school? I've had work continually for more than 12 weeks since October and nothing has changed for me. The majority of supply teachers I know work every week in the same authority as a supply teacher, be it for a day or more per week. It's certainly not the clearest document I've ever read!

4. I work for an agency not the LEA but do all my work in one authority. I was definitely told that it was all work in one authority regardless of who the work came through because my agency has asked us to let them know of other work that is done through other agencies as this must be taken into account. Not that the agency will pay to scale I'm sure. Their thinking is that if we aren't planning and attending meetings etc then we're not doing the full job of a teacher and therefore we won't be paid to scale.

5. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

AND SO THE CONFUSION RUMBLES AND RUMBLES ON............. I suspect lack of clarity is to the advantage of the Agencies......... we should all check to see if there are clauses in our contracts that states ............ any disputes over AWR has to be reported within a set time or it will be null and void ..........CHECK EVERYONE AND REPORT BACK ON YOUR CONTRACTS.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

All the Union information on AWR is that it does not have to be 12 weeks of working in the same school but 12 weeks of being sent by your agency to the same hirer.
    The hirer is taken to mean any school controlled by the same LA or any school in the same Academy trust.
    Basically, the legislation is designed to ensure that agencies can only make large profits from a worker's efforts for a limited time, after which thay must settle for a smaller 'take' and the worker is entitled to be paid the same as any other employee doing the same job in the workplace.
    I'm sure that agencies will try to read the legislation differently and will move teachers to other workplaces in an attempt to prevent 12 weeks of employment, but I expect that there will be legal test cases by theUnions to establish the new law.
    The AWR should improve the pay of many other workers, some of whom previously ended up with less than the minimum wqage after the agency fee.
    Several years ago, when Polish immigration was a hot-topic and I was picking up on rank prejudice amongst teenagers, I had a YR11 pupil boast about how she earned nearly £8 per hour working in a factory at the weekend and some evenings whilst Polish adults sent by an agency were getting under £4 per hour for doing the same job.
    That's what the legislation is designed to prevent but it needs proper enforcement.
    Supply teachers could make life more difficult for agencies, and ensurethat they are more likely to toe the line with the teachers that they do manage, by prioritising registration with the LA supply pools, lobbying for them to be re-formed if they have closed down, and contacting schools for work directly.
    If there's a big enough push by hard-pressed supply teachers to remove their services from private agencies, schools will start lobbying their LAs to organise supply teachers again and will also take more notice of the emailed and posted CVs that arrive.
    If an educated bunch of individuals can't mobilise and achieve results, frankly no-one else has a chance!

7. Hi I need some advice, I work for an agency as supply teacher, I graduated July 2010 and have none of my NQT induction completed, despite great efforts to secure permanent post - (I have extension from my local authority until Jan '13). I need to know if and how the AWR rule affects me, I have been working in the same school sent by the same agancy for 12-13 weeks now as supply not full-time but most days a week covering different classes/year groups. Does this affect me? Or because I have not completed my induction 3 terms do they only have to pay me the same as an NQT until my induction is completed? I would appreciate some advice, thanks.

8. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

It may do, but I am not 100% sure of the rule, but I take the position, if the agency says now't don't rock the boat, because it could cost you money. Because under the rules, you would be paid as an NQT until you have completed the induction, because I believe that after working at the same school for a period of 12 weeks, then you must be paid at the your rate and have the same rights and conditions as the permanent staff.

9. Agencies are up for a bit of "ignoring important things" as much as the next man.
    Ask your agent if they are prepared to "forget" it.
    After all, the legislation will not work in your favour, it will just mean someone else gets the work.