1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AWR Week 1 - "our sole agents" (think about it)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by magic surf bus, Feb 9, 2012.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So I go into week 1 of AWR, and the school wants to negotiate with my agency about their daily fee as my wage cost has increased substantially. The agency proceeds to use me as a bargaining counter and offers them reduced agency fees to secure a sole agency deal with the school. I would have known nothing of this but for my positive working relationship with the school's Cover Manager, who is now very displeased with the agency about being held to ransom. In the end the school has calculated that it would be cheaper to pay an introduction fee to the agency and switch me to a scale-paid LEA supply contract for the rest of the year than it would be to keep me on as an agency supply teacher on AWR.

So I'm now back on the LEA payroll and can pay into TPA again until July, which suits me fine. However, the Cover Manager is now thoroughly p*ssed off with the agency and will probably stop using them at the earliest opportunity, so my fellow Supply Teachers will lose out in the long term. Additionally I no longer trust the agency because this sole agency deal could have gone wrong and I would have lost work, so I'm now considering approaching the school direct about future supply work.

End result? Short term gain for the agency, but long term loss of business, and I no longer trust them. Nice one agency.

2. magic surf bus

So I go into week 1 of AWR, and the school wants to negotiate with my agency about their daily fee as my wage cost has increased substantially. The agency proceeds to use me as a bargaining counter and offers them reduced agency fees to secure a sole agency deal with the school. I would have known nothing of this but for my positive working relationship with the school's Cover Manager, who is now very displeased with the agency about being held to ransom. In the end the school has calculated that it would be cheaper to pay an introduction fee to the agency and switch me to a scale-paid LEA supply contract for the rest of the year than it would be to keep me on as an agency supply teacher on AWR.

So I'm now back on the LEA payroll and can pay into TPA again until July, which suits me fine. However, the Cover Manager is now thoroughly p*ssed off with the agency and will probably stop using them at the earliest opportunity, so my fellow Supply Teachers will lose out in the long term. Additionally I no longer trust the agency because this sole agency deal could have gone wrong and I would have lost work, so I'm now considering approaching the school direct about future supply work.

End result? Short term gain for the agency, but long term loss of business, and I no longer trust them. Nice one agency.

3. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I'm glad you are getting paid properly and the school have done the right thing.
    Who knows - maybe the AWR might lead to the reinstating of more LA supply lists? Although with the academies roll out then maybe not. Maybe schools will prefer to have their own supply teachers and pay them properly.

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I hit week 12 in one school where I have done weeks at a time and the odd day. I suddenly haven't been back, strange that! I wonder if I get a booking there after 6 weeks have gone by. I'll let you know!

5. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

same happened to me

6. More red tape = more misery for all = less value for all. Dann's law.

7. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Anyone negotiated their scale rate in order to still work with an agency after 12 weeks with same schools or are agencies rotating staff after 10/12 weeks to other schools. Originally it was if you worked in the same schools in the same LEA... is it now if you work in on particular school only that the 12 week rule applies... Now so confused and agency at the moment not forthcoming with what THEY ARE DOING... As we do not see many supply teachers clustered at the same time at the same schools anymore it is difficult to know what is happening to others .....More transparency is needed but I doubt that government will have any legislation to enforce on the agencies... what about European enforment legislation anyone know anything about thatt, that could help?

8. The WHOLE point of the EU's Agency Workers' Regulations (2010) was to allow temporary workers who have shown reliability, commitment and motivation to be continuously employed for twelve weeks or more to actually benefit from the same terms and conditions of employment as their permanently contracted counterparts NOT TO HAVE schools and agencies wheel and deal with the actual worker TOTALLY POWERLESS to influence matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Utterly perverse interpretations of the regulations...I would resurrect the Equality Act!
    Negotiate the correct fee? No one is ever "on" AWR??? The legislation is there to supposedly benefit the long suffering and exploited temporary worker. But as a temporary worker employers must play fair hence industrial tribunals exist to help!

9. Half term is a week later in June - the extra bank holiday is during half term - ergo.

10. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

thanks for that jubilee .Do you know if I am entitled to get paid for May Day (May 7)?

11. Not one of the 195 days so no. In theory you are paid for it in the 'holiday pay' bit of the daily rate.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Daily paid supply/agency workers only get paid for days in work.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The half-term and between term breaks do not count. If you are employed at some point in the week before a school break and again in the week after (at the same school) you can keep counting until you reach 12 weeks and then claim full pay.
    A break would have to be longer than the maximum school holoiday of 6 weeks to invalidate AWR payprogression for a teacher.

14. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

i have worked out that M6 proper rate would be £31552/195 =£161.80 from week 12 .Is this correct as my agency dont pay me that now

15. I'm on M6 too. I have a part time contract with my school and do supply for an agency for the rest of the week, at the same school. It is always general cover....does that mean AWR isn't valid?

16. magic surf bus

That's about right, yes. I use a ready reckoner of £110 for M1 then add £10 for every point further up the scale to UPS3.

17. This is correct.
    AWR only applies to specified jobs where you will be undertaking all the same duties as a regular member of staff such as all the planning for each lesson and all the marking, attending parents evenings etc. If your booking is just for general cover and is on an ad hoc basis (even though you may be doing 3 days a week) it cannot count towards qualification for equal rights under AWR.

18. All you have to do is identify your exact MPS salary point on the scale, divide by 195 to determine the gross <u>hourly rate</u>![​IMG]

19. The divison is WRONG!!!!!!!

20. Forget AWR! Agencies should at least acknowledge experience and pay at the correct MPS point at the OUTSET for all fully registered and fully qualified supply teachers rather than all this max &pound;100 per day nonsense????