1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AWR - on behalf of a friend

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by greeneyes, Dec 18, 2018.

1. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

My friend is now in week 15 in a school. From the start she’s been paid £140 per day but when she enquired about her AWR rate the agency said that the school had only budgeted for that rate and it wouldn’t be changing. She’s on UPS 3 but won’t even get M6!

Is this right? It’s a LA school, not an academy.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest your friend call her union and get their advice. The school and agency have to follow whatever the legal requirement is which is what your friend needs to know.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  3. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

AWR provides that an agency worker must be paid at the same rate as a permanent worker doing the same job for the same employer after 12 weeks in the role. That's not optional - it's the law. The clock would stop if someone worked for the same employer, but in a substantially different role, within that period. Liability rests with the agency, not the school.

Yesterday the government announced a significant and welcome change to AWR, such that agency workers must now be paid at the same rate as a permanent worker from day one. I have not checked the date from which that is enacted, or whether it is in force immediately - but you can.

In both cases, the union website should have this information (or ACAS website / helpline) and should be supporting a challenge of the agency's unlawful actions. Citizens Advice and ACAS will have updated their websites immediately with reliable information, too.

4. greeneyes

Peapicker I can't seem to find anything about the change to AWR because that would affect me. I'm finishing off week 7 in a school.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  5. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

As pepper5 says, it's the law! It is so wrong that the agencies don't automatically comply with the law
    (maybe some do but I've not heard of one yet). Your friend should chase this up asap as I think there is a time limit to claim. The onus is on the agency, not the school.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  6. greeneyes

Her response: I’m just pleased to have some money coming in, I’m trying not to complain about stuff as I would like a real job here.

7. PeggyG

PeggyG New commenter

This may be a silly question but do AWR apply to part time positions in the same school? I have been working 2 days a week in the same school since September and this has now been extended to Easter. I'm primary and I plan, mark, assess and will be expected to attend parents evenings this term.

8. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Yes, AWR applies even if you only work one day a week every other week, after the twelfth session the uplift in pay is applicable. Ask your Union.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

If you are employed through an agency ask if the the school pays overtime for parents eves. I got an extra payment for doing one last term. The agency should negotiate for you. After all, they get their cut. If the school won't pay, then it may be up to you to make a decision about attendance, especially if it's on a day you don't normally work.

Jesmond12 and agathamorse like this.