1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AWR: Is this illegal?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by kerswellc, Jul 1, 2019.

1. kerswellc

kerswellc New commenter

A little background:
    I'm an NQT (completed 2 terms) but have been teaching supply and long term supply from sept 2018 when I completed my PGCE.
    I've worked 2 long term placements, most recently will be coming up to 12 weeks at the end of the term.

My agency is claiming that my AWR rate will equal that of a person in my situation (saying I should be on M2). He says this rate is at £131 a day. (this works out at £25,283 (£131 x 5 x 38.6) although the pay range states £25,594).
    I'm not here to ask about this part.

The part I am asking about is the fact that the agency use an umbrella company which takes a cut of my paycheck (10.5%+£28 every week!).
    I asked the agency and they WILL keep taking this off after AWR comes into effect, this essentially takes my £131 down to £112 a day! that works out at an estimate of £3800 a year! taking my pay down to £21,483... less than an NQT but branded as M2!

This is not equal pay! are they allowed to do this?

2. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I thought you were entitled to actually be paid to scale after stoppages.

However, someone wiser than me will be along soon.

3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Everything is deducted from your daily rate and you are given what’s left.

The question here is why are you not asking to go PAYE rather than use umbrella company?

agathamorse likes this.
  4. kerswellc

kerswellc New commenter

I asked that twice and they said the school wouldn't go for it due to the "extra costs".

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

They are lying to you. There are no extra costs to the school. I was a HT and paid the bills. We paid the agreed rate and it was up to the agency and the supply teacher to agree the daily rate.

I strongly recommend that tell the agency that you want to be paid via PAYE or register with another agency.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

Agreed. The school has no interest in or input to the agency's payroll arrangements. They typically have no idea how much a supply teacher is being paid and aren't that bothered. A benefit to them of using an agency is that they don't have to be. They just pay a bill for the supply of a teacher. It's expensive but maybe less so in terms of time, effort etc than managing their own temporary recruitment - depends on the school. The agency uses some of it to pay the teacher and keeps the rest to meet its own costs and make a profit. UCs reduce their costs and responsibilities so they can make more money. They are outsourcing their payroll just as the school are outsourcing aspects of their recruitment. And we, the assets being moved around in this game, have to fight for what we can get. If you are needing work from September, try shopping around. You are a new teacher with energy and fresh ideas, not too expensive, and schools and agencies will be interested. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    JohnJCazorla and BertieBassett2 like this.
  7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

After Brexit, nothing will be illegal.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Can you give examples?

9. Skiver

Skiver New commenter

You could try saying that you were not made aware of how much would be deduducted when you agreed to do the job and that if you had known you would not have accepted the placement and therefore request a pay increase to cover it. You have nothing to lose by bringing this up.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Apart from union activity, whistleblowers, comments about Trump, consumer protections, ....etc

11. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Dianne Abbott has filed a motion already in parliament to overturn the no drinking on the underground law.