1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AWR 12 week qualifying and sick leave, pregnancy related

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cliveceltic, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ok this has just been brought to my attention my a governor in an LEA who has shown me their agency worker policy. It states that the qualifying clock is not reset but paused if you return after sick leave up to 28 weeks and that the qualifying click continues during interruptions due to pregnancy related absence.

By Xmas hols I had done 8 consecutive weeks at a school where I am there til summer. I have dated the weeks from when AWR started. After Xmas I was off til half term due to pregnancy sickness leaving me hospitalised and on medication etc. I had a sick note to claim employment support allowance during this time. I have returned since half term and am now clicking up the week, this week will be week 12 of teaching/invoicing weeks. I had originally thought my clock would be reset to start again once I returned but after being shown an LEA policy I found the same info on direct gov. At least I hope I am reading it correctly.

I have contacted my agency to ask whether I should be getting scale paid rates from next week. Has anyone had sick leave and found out if it effects qualifying period. I am not counting the weeks I was off but I could interpret the pregnancy part as it still counts through and actually I should have already been paid the last few weeks at scale. Any ideas. Will be interested what my agency have to say.

2. Ok this has just been brought to my attention my a governor in an LEA who has shown me their agency worker policy. It states that the qualifying clock is not reset but paused if you return after sick leave up to 28 weeks and that the qualifying click continues during interruptions due to pregnancy related absence.

By Xmas hols I had done 8 consecutive weeks at a school where I am there til summer. I have dated the weeks from when AWR started. After Xmas I was off til half term due to pregnancy sickness leaving me hospitalised and on medication etc. I had a sick note to claim employment support allowance during this time. I have returned since half term and am now clicking up the week, this week will be week 12 of teaching/invoicing weeks. I had originally thought my clock would be reset to start again once I returned but after being shown an LEA policy I found the same info on direct gov. At least I hope I am reading it correctly.

I have contacted my agency to ask whether I should be getting scale paid rates from next week. Has anyone had sick leave and found out if it effects qualifying period. I am not counting the weeks I was off but I could interpret the pregnancy part as it still counts through and actually I should have already been paid the last few weeks at scale. Any ideas. Will be interested what my agency have to say.

3. ...you should be OK. Suggest contacting the agency and get your AWR status confirmed in writing

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

I have been informed that Christmas Holidays do not count ...only the weeks we actually work in a school. Seems like I will take for ever to build up AWR and even then it will be up to the school whether they still want me for daily supply as I will probably be too expensive............. this will mean that I will not be available for that school......... I have asked to stay at the same rate to still enable me to work for that school but the Agency said NO .....therefore WE CANNOT MAKE A CHOICE TO ''''' DOWNGRADE''''' OURSELVES. Surely if we wish to work for less to get work we should be able to do so. This could happen to up to 6 schools for me if the demand for supply carries on at the rate it has since Christmas....leaving me with no work because I have built up the 12 weeks and I am deemed too expensive when they can employ cheaper but inexperienced teachers. Building up 12 weeks for me means daily supply in different schools mostly every day.
    Crazy world we live in.. Another signpost to say to the youth of this country........ qualifications does not necessarily mean you get a job or keep it. MADNESS

5. That's true, holidays just pause the clock. Six weeks could be an issue over summer if you don't get work the week before and after in said school. Sickness also pauses the clock but apparently pregnancy absences keep the count. If you are off a school more than 6 weeks for other reasons such as work elsewhere you restart. There is a lad at my school who's been there 7 weeks and knew nothing about AWRs. After half term he's being kept til summer and school won't put him on a contract as supply is cheaper but he will soon be into his 12th week. Reckon it's the finders fee and him needing nqt time stopping them using a contract. Agency assured me I was correct on what I thought, if I wasn't self employed but see my other thread for that saga!!