1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awkward Situation: Child's Parent Requested Number

Discussion in 'Personal' started by HotskyForTrotsky, Nov 11, 2016.

1. HotskyForTrotsky

HotskyForTrotsky New commenter

We recently had a parents evening for Year 10 at the school I teach in, and one child's mother blatantly asked me for my number. It wasn't during an appointment, and she made it clear that the purposes weren't for contacting me regarding the kid's behavior (they're an angel anyway).

I awkwardly turned her down, told her if I needed to contact her I'd get the school's staff to do so for me.

Is this a common situation? Has anyone dealt with it before? The poor kid was red in the face from embarrassment, and I didn't have a mirror but I reckon I was too. I'm going to presume the correct course of action is to just grin and bare it, then proceed as if it hadn't happened at all?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Tell the HT!

Just in case she alleges anything against you. A woman scorned etc etc.

Tell someone now! Cover yourself.

And stop boasting! ;)

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

You did right to refuse. Every school has a well oiled machine for contact between parents and staff. I would mention this to your HoD and/or your mentor if you have one.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As it happened in your workplace I would strongly recommend that you notify a friendly person higher up the food chain as soon as possible so that somebody else knows and it's logged. I don't know your gender, but regardless of that and in slightly different circumstances it might be construed as harassment, and you don't know if/how the lady concerned might try to follow it up.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As above - tell your superiors, make sure that they make a note, just in case...

6. T34

T34 Established commenter

"We recently had a... ...etc"
    Ok... so what's the problem?

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Absolutely not!

dominant_tonic and Didactylos4 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sounds like a made up story to me

midnight_angel and Burndenpark like this.
  9. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Close your eyes and think of England.:oops:

ValentinoRossi and emerald52 like this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

NO!!!! Whatever you don't don't bare anything!!!!!

11. magic surf bus

I find it believable because it reminds me of a parent's evening some years back where the kid's Mum was accompanied by a female friend sporting that half woman half leopard Dorian from Birds of a Feather look. I shook Mum's hand politely, then her hybrid friend pounced uninvited into my personal space and planted a smacker on my cheek. Later in the interview she said I should apply for a job at her child's private school because the classes were so much smaller. Bizarre.

It struck me that if the OP had been a 23-year-old woman and a child's dad had asked for her phone number there'd have been alarm bells going off all over the place. Just because it's someone's Mum doesn't mean it should be treated any differently.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Fortunately being as old and ugly as I am means nothing that that will ever happen to me.

sabrinakat and racroesus like this.
  13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:D

14. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

A parent told me he loved me and wished he'd met me under different circumstances.

I was heavily pregnant and due any minute- I wondered out loud if he could deliver the baby for me as that would definitely be appreciated.

We laughed and moved on.

I informed HT and we had a laugh.

He sent a nice present for the baby.

Mention it to Dept Head, get it logged and follow all appropriate advice using policies etc.

racroesus likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

This is recorded in the 1912 journal of Lady Hillingdon:

"When I hear his steps outside my door I lie down on my bed, open my legs and think of England."

16. magic surf bus

"How can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team?"
    Billy Bragg, Greetings to the New Brunette

17. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I assumed it was their GTC number - or whatever the equivalent is outside Scotland these days - that the parent was asking for. I did think that seemed a bit drastic and wondered what on earth the OP had said or done to merit such a response.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Lady Hillingdon may have thought of England but I don't.

19. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

But you do lie down on your bed, open your legs ??????

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It has worked in the past.