1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awkward first meeting

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Madalinutza, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Madalinutza

Madalinutza New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am due to start my first management position at a new college. Ahead of my start date, I had a short meeting with my line manager to discuss some actions for this academic year. She then asked me to follow her in one of the classrooms so I can meet 4 of the teachers that I will be managing. I entered the room feeling excited and hopefull. I walked out feeling confused. This was supposed to be a very informal meeting...just to say "hello" and briefly introduce myself. I was met by cold stares....they didn't even bother to force a smile.
    How should I approach these teachers? How do I create a productive working environment with people who seem to dislike me from day one?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Cake?....what did your line manager say? did you ask what she saw as the issues within the current department?

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Ogden Nash on icebreaking

Candy
    Is dandy
    But liquor
    Is quicker

It's just possible that an informal meeting in the pub might work?

tb9605 likes this.
  4. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Work on them one to one. As individuals they'll be far less intimidating than as a group. Try to learn about them, find out what makes them tick.

be mindful of your own reputation too. Build a buzz around your lessons when you start - pull out some stops and get students really engaged. That'll earn their respect (and if it doesn't that'll tell you something about them) and then hopefully the more open-minded ones will realise that you might just know what you're doing and be somebody they can learn from. Offer to share resources, planning, time-savers, etc - make them see that working with you will save them time and effort.

Good luck!

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

pepper5 likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I don't think it is that they dislike you, but perhaps the working conditions are bad at the college and they see you as another person to heap misery upon them.

tb9605's suggestions are excellent as anything you can do to make their lives easier will be appreciated ; if you genuinely get to know these people , then you can find out what their concerns are - what you can do to help them.

Listening will be your biggest weapon in breaking down the barriers.

Also, read some good books on how to manage people. Look on it as a learning experience.

Well done for getting the post.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think they probably dislike the senior staff member rather than the OP

sabrinakat likes this.