1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awkward application to make

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by moonirules, Nov 10, 2015.

1. moonirules

moonirules New commenter

Hello,

I have just started at a new secondary school, just over half a term in. I love teaching and I am six years into my career. Already I am having issues and I regret some of the judgements that I made about the school when I accepted the job. Now, a great job has come up that I am really qualified for and I would love to go for. I want to go for it, it'd be great for me and I'm really excited about it. However, does having been in my current school for such a short amount of time mean I shouldn't be applying? I don't really know the head that we'll at the moment, so I can't judge how it might go down if I were to tell him. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

OK. You are probably not going to like what I write.

If you apply for this job, you will certainly have to tell your HT. And they might not be overly impressed that you want to leave so quickly.

Leaving after a term may make the other school doubt your commitment as well. You say that you misjudged your current school, but think this one would be great for you. You need a reference from this post, and they will be honest about how quickly you left. Really, unless your position is untenable, you might be better off staying and trying to make this place work. You can always leave in the Summer - and a year would look better than a term.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Spot on, @CWadd !

Except that I will add one more thing: any school receiving an application from somebody who has been in his/her current post for just over half a term is most likely to reject it straight away, unless there is a very powerful reason for this quick turnaround, or they are absolutely desperate for a HoD English (or Physics, or whatever) as they are on their third round of advertising the post . . .

And I am afraid that your reason would not be considered a powerful one.

So this new school that you are thinking of applying to would never get to see the factually honest reference from your current school ( Thank you for your request for a reference for Mr Moonirules. He joined our staff just 47 teaching days ago so I have no comment other than that we have , so far, no concerns over safeguarding or child protection) because you would not be shortlisted.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, your Head and HoD are both severely cheesed off at themselves at having made the wrong appointment: you, who wants out already.

Not what you wanted to hear. But there it is. Sorry!

Now concentrate on making a success of this current post. Who can you approach to provide support for the issues that you are having? What can you personally do to solve them? Where are your successes so far that you could build on?

Best wishes

4. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

The grass is not always greener on the other side of the hill...

5. Anon92181738

Anon92181738 New commenter

6. moonirules

moonirules New commenter

I didn't make the application in the end. However, I had been speaking via email to the head prior to making my decision and she was very open to the idea of an application from a secondary school teacher. It ended with me thanking her for her time and an invitation to discuss options for a move in the future. Following this, there is now a post local to me for a primary teacher but one who specializes in my subject, so I'm back in the same situation of wanting to apply!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck with it!

8. moonirules

moonirules New commenter

This has raised a few questions in my mind though that stem from the state of education at the moment. I came into teaching from industry, and have often struggled with the long established protocols of recruitment and resignations. Recently, I have been wondering whether the biblical changes to education will soon change the way we move around positions in our career. I know I have asked about a couple of different jobs on the forums here, but secretly there is one school that I would love to work for. It is local to me and I know a bit about it through word of mouth and really like the idea of working there. I was wondering why I can't approach them, sell myself and at least inquire about positions in the future. This happens in industry, and as education becomes a more private affair, maybe we can start taking control of our development like we would in a private firm. I teach Computer Science, which I know there are struggles recruiting for, so shouldn't my interests in other schools be a lesson for the HT that something needs to be done to retain staff, as opposed to being a black mark on me for wanting to move? Outside of my contractual obligations, shouldn't I, like many heads, be looking out for what I want to achieve?

9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You're in charge of your development anyway. I doubt the HT will see anyone wanting to move as a need to retain staff - more as a career option for you.

Regarding the school you want to work for - if they have a vacancy, apply for it. Schools cannot create positions- they either have jobs open or not.