1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awful woman on the Antiques Road Show

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Jun 16, 2019.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As we were waiting for Gentleman Jack,we put the TV on BBC 1 and caught the last 15 minutes of the ARS where some awful woman could not be bothered to attempt to pronounce the name of the vase maker,so called him "Tapioca something or other". How ignorant! The name was Tapio Wirkkala. Not really that difficult to say.

nomad likes this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Are there no awful...

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Some people do have genuine conditions which make pronunciation difficult. Due to hearing/neurologocal conditions, a relative of mine found it very difficult to listen to and repsond to a person's views follwing a 'woke/check your privilege' conversation. I don't watch the show, don't know the woman and so I don't know whether this would apply to her, though many people have misprounced/spelt my name over the years (and my dad was asked if he was 'foreign' due to his name).

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Perhaps because the programme was 'close to the Finnish'? :D

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My one regret about Steptoe and Son is that their series never coincided with the Antiques Road Show.It would have been a joy and a half to have watched Steptoe and son load the cart with the contents of their home and have Hercules the horse drag it all the way to the ARS for the experts to value.

How much do you reckon they'd have thought the skeleton at the bottom of the staircase was worth?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

She seemed to have no problems pronouncing "tapioca",so not sure why she could not have said the first name of the artist which was "Tapio". It was the way she said it (tapioca or something or the other) ,which to me sounded dismissive of a foreign name.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Are you sure you pronounced that correctly?

nomad likes this.
  8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

My names are not terribly unusual, but scarcely a week goes by without someone mispronouncing one or the other.

To be honest, I find it a trifle boring to correct them if I bother...(I don't always), but I'm not insulted nor do I regard those who get them wrong as 'awful'. There are more serious things to worry about...like Brexit! :D

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Try having a French name!

It was not so much that she mispronounced the name but sounded (to me) dismissive by calling it "tapioca,something or other"!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

Like my wife, and one of our children, you mean!!:D

catmother likes this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Except I did not change my surname on getting married,so French first name and French surname. The first name is actually exactly the same as a British one but change the ending from "a" in English to "e" in French but people still horribly mispronounce it and don't get me started on how they write it!

12. FrankWolley

I suspect this is pretty common wherever one lives...for nearly 40 years I have replied, in France, to the French version of my first name...similar but not identical (think 'Henry' & 'Henri'...but it's not that!:D)

13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You'd be surprised how nervous some people can get when appearing on TV or radio for the first time. I was once interviewed by local radio about a huge bequest my school had been given for a new chapel organ, and was so nervous I got everything wrong, including the donor's name. :(

emerald52 likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Did the individual carry an organ donor card?

15. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I remember the old days when Tyne Tees Television had continuity announcers, or "speakerines", as the French would have called them. When one of them trailed a programme featuring American singer and pianist Liberace, she pronounced his name as Lib-er-ace, rhyming the final syllable with "face". That was the last time she appeared on TV and her absence from the screen was never explained.

sodalime and smoothnewt like this.
  16. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

My first name has 4 letters with two vowels and is pronounced as written. It is not a very common name but not that unusual. All my life people have got it very wrong. As a 12 year old in a new school one teacher called me for a whole term by a different name ( same first two letters). I was too scared to correct her. Only when we had exams did she notice and proceeded to tell me off!

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

In the days before digital voice recorders we used to have to place a large microphone in front of candidates for the GCSE oral exams: normally confident kids were reduced to jelly, traumatised at the prospect at having to speak in front of it. We used to have to get them used to it gradually, with advance practices.

One of my husband's jobs, now semi-retired, is media training with the military and others (today he is working with trainee officers and diplomats). He said that it is often the case that otherwise confident adults become very nervous in front of a radio microphone - less so than in front of a TV camera, which struck me as odd.

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

Ithought this wasanother thread about Madonna on Graham Norton.

lardylady likes this.
  19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Mia-owwww;)!

nizebaby likes this.
  20. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Duke of York.... "Did the individual carry an organ donor card? "

Surely one of the best one-liners here for a long time!

Respect!!!!

Duke of York and emerald52 like this.