1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

awful week

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by anon1369, Nov 5, 2011.

1. We have been back for less than a week and already it has been dreadful, I even had my first cry!
    The behaviour seems to have got worse but it's not just me saying this, all the teachers are saying the same across the school. I can 'put up' with the bad behaviour and abuse, as I deal with everyday but I can't deal with the good children being a nightmare.
    I share a top set class who last lesson practically ignored me and acted as if I wasn't there. My HOD came in at the end as I was keeping them behind and the pupils decided to announce that they hate me, all I do is make them copy out and that they only work well with the other teacher. This really hit a nerve especially as they said this to my HOD who I imagine is now judging me. It wouldn't matter so much but they are a GCSE class and have an exam in january.
    They did a practice test for my topic and their results were awful and quite a few failed. However in the other teachers unit they all got grades A-D. This must reflect so badly on me, I feel dreadful now and I am so worried. I have tried my best for them and the whole thing has ruined my weekend.
    I normally perform my best with KS4 classes and I don't want to be bigheaded but I have had so many children tell me how much they like the way I teach and helped them understand but that's not the case in this school. I am obviously going to be doing revision with them but I don't know how I am going to face them now that they have admitted hating me. [​IMG]

2. We have been back for less than a week and already it has been dreadful, I even had my first cry!
    The behaviour seems to have got worse but it's not just me saying this, all the teachers are saying the same across the school. I can 'put up' with the bad behaviour and abuse, as I deal with everyday but I can't deal with the good children being a nightmare.
    I share a top set class who last lesson practically ignored me and acted as if I wasn't there. My HOD came in at the end as I was keeping them behind and the pupils decided to announce that they hate me, all I do is make them copy out and that they only work well with the other teacher. This really hit a nerve especially as they said this to my HOD who I imagine is now judging me. It wouldn't matter so much but they are a GCSE class and have an exam in january.
    They did a practice test for my topic and their results were awful and quite a few failed. However in the other teachers unit they all got grades A-D. This must reflect so badly on me, I feel dreadful now and I am so worried. I have tried my best for them and the whole thing has ruined my weekend.
    I normally perform my best with KS4 classes and I don't want to be bigheaded but I have had so many children tell me how much they like the way I teach and helped them understand but that's not the case in this school. I am obviously going to be doing revision with them but I don't know how I am going to face them now that they have admitted hating me. [​IMG]

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Aw, bless you. You can't worry about them hating you. I have heard this from classes - my y11s aren't liking me much come to think of it, but they'll come round. Last year's y11 felt the same this time last year but we got over it and once January comes round, they settle down. However, it's fair to worry about criticisms of your teaching and you should think about how true they are. If they're just making up or exaggerating things, you can dismiss them, but if there is truth in what they say, you should at least think about this and consider the methods you use. Schools are prepared for classes doing less well with NQTs and should step in if it continues. If it's just a blip because you're settling in, you should expect support. Whatever, you do, don't let up on the behaviour management, but don't pretend everything is OK. Talk to your HOD about your concerns and agree what you're going to do to - is it just one class you are having difficulties with?

4. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

hun im surprised you lasted this long without a cry, so you are obviously doing something right!I cried every night this week because the children have been simply horrible so believe me you are not alone. I'm afraid I cannot help with your subject teaching as i imagine science is so different to english, but i really hope it picks up for you this week xxx

5. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Have had one good sob last half term and a couple of mini-cries (in the car on the way home) but it happens to everyone. Don't worry about what the students are saying, they don't hate you. They're doing it for attention and it happens to every teacher at some point in their career. I often find it comes with classes that are shared however.
    Look at your planning however, how can you ensure that you're delivering a varied range of teaching, so you can prove without a shadow of a doubt that you are teaching with a varied style, just in case anything is said. If you're worried about it, bring it up with your mentor/HoD and approach it head on. That way there's nothing that can be said about you not addressing your own teaching style.
    Good luck with them, keep on them, remember, you're their teacher and you don't need any year 11 friends, I'm sure you have enough friends already!
    S