1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awful interview today

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by gemmahall07, May 21, 2019.

1. gemmahall07

gemmahall07 New commenter

I’m really down about my English teaching interview. I qualified as FE teacher last year, but I kind of want to break into secondary. I’ve mostly had experience teaching GCSE and a level drama/English, but have had some experience with secondary. I think my nerves got the better of me today in the observed lesson as the year nines were so quiet and I found it hard to get them to answer my questions, I had to work hard to get them to answer. I did other exercises with them and they seemed to enjoy the final task. However, the head decided not to interview me afterwards and sent me home. I feel a bit crushed and defeated. It’s a slap of rejection really. I will keep on trying. Anyone got any observed lesson tips? Xx

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've all been there

Just make more applications

Observed lesson tips

1. Plan activities for more time than you have available - NEVER finish early
    2. Keep it as simple as possible
    3. Try and have some sort of interactive activity
    4. Don't get flustered - try and relax

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not much to add to the above excellent advice. Sometimes, a class can be intimidated by the presence of a stranger, so it may not have been because of anything you did. I think that a way of getting them involved could be to encourage paid discussions for a short time before they feedback to everybody else. They should be comfortable with doing that, and it should help them get involved. Take that with a pinch of salt - I am (or was) a Maths teacher so I can only speak for that subject. I do recall the most successful interview lesson I ever did involved them marking some work with deliberate errors in it in pairs and then going through the errors together. Five minutes into the lesson, I had them eating out of my hand. Didn't get the job, though.:(

You know it didn't go well - it happens. Clearly, on the day, some others did better at impressing than you did, That does not make you a bad teacher. Sadly, the odds say that we will be rejected for jobs far more often than we succeed, so it is important that we don't take it personally. I am lucky in that I can just shrug my shoulders, think "their loss" and then decide if I need to do something different the next time. If you can develop such an attitude, I think it does make it easier to accept not getting a job.

Good luck next time!

SundaeTrifle and agathamorse like this.
  4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Very rude of the SLT not to interview you and I would perceive the whole experience as a lucky escape.:oops:

Best wishes on the job hunt and I hope the perfect for you school, finds you soon.:)

agathamorse and Daredevil111 like this.
  5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

If the Head was observing, I bet that's why they were so quiet.;)At least you don't think you were brilliant and that there were no problems.
    The right job will come along. Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.