1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

awful day... don't want to do this any more!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cleggy1611, Sep 13, 2012.

1. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

Long story cut short...
    We had our edp in today to discuss assessment with the ht. I was asked to attend as I'm assessment co. It was my ppa time and it was a 3 hour meeting. She started asking me very in-depth questions about specific cohorts and I said I didn't have the answers off the top of my head. She was patronising and said, ok let's pretend I'm an Ofsted inspector...

Anyway, I'd produced some spreadsheets for y6 based on the school tracking system and she now wants them doing for the whole school. She asked the ht what a reasonable deadline for this was, who replied, by the end of next week! She was kind and is allowing me a half day out of class to do it. The thing is, the ht has requested an 'ofsted health check' by the edp for the following week and this will involve observations which we've been told must be at least good.

I lost my rag a bit and said that I hadn't expected a mock inspection during a meeting that I had just been asked to sit in on. I really am at the end of my tether. This is coupled with a full time teaching commitment, 2 lunchtime meetings a week that run for the whole hour and an expectation that I will run 2 after school clubs a week. Another thing is that I have been put on a 3 day residential with the kids without being asked if I would go.

Does anyone get the feeling I'm being taken for granted!

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

So she's giving you half a day but think about it this way, you're only getting your PPA back that you've lost! Personally I would go to your union reps about this. Totally unreasonable.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The lunchtime meetings are a definite no - you are entitled to a lunch break and your lunch is not part of your directed time. If you are NASUWT you are already on a work to rule which means that you should not be doing these things and have union backing if you refuse. If you are in NUT then your work to rule starts on 26/9. Equally PPA should not be used for meetings
    It does seem your management is being unreasonable in some of their expectations and you should speak to your union rep. about them.

4. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

I think they are asking enough without throwing in a Mocksted as well!