1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awesome Authors' Sale...again

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by CurriculumForAutism, Sep 21, 2016.

1. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

As TES is doing another sale, I'm wondering how many times a year these happen. I just started selling here in June, but this is the third sale since then. Do you think buyers wait until sales to buy resources, or do they still regularly buy full price resources?

2. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

In my experience buyers regularly buy full price resources. However, sales are usually enhanced by the sale periods.

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  3. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

And two of those sales have been extended which suggests they haven't been as successful as hoped and a lack of ideas about how to encourage buyers.

They haven't made any difference to me - sales are the same with and without the promotional sales.

I think there's been too much emphasis on selling and not enough on encouraging buying. It's understandable - chicken & egg etc. but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a marketing plan besides 'build it and they will come'.

4. CurriculumForAutism

I was thinking the same about the extended sales.

Rather than a marketing plan, there seems to be a lot of 'gimmicks'.

5. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

A worry will be that potential buyers will learn that sales are perhaps a little more regular that they should be and wait to purchase.

Like @thinky said, sales don't tend to make too much of a difference. The first sale this year wasn't overly successful for me personally, but when resources went back to full price, I saw a little flurry of sales. There doesn't seem to be any particular reasoning behind when people buy resources.

Everyone will have targets for sales... Even TES!

6. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I think we need to be very grateful to TES for the opportunities they have given us. It is still very early days, and in time things will improve. I have seen enormous changes in the space of a year and my business continues to grow as I work on it, despite the difficulties and frustrations. Think positive, continue to work on ways of promoting your own resources. Negativity and 'nay saying' are not a good recipe for success. TES do listen and are working on improving things. Rome was not built in a day.

emjcot and CurriculumForAutism like this.
  7. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful, if that's how it came across - I've aired my appreciation and support for the TES both on here and in the FB group. I'm happy whenever resources are purchased - I'm not greedily after sales, I just can't work out the patterns of buyers or what makes certain resources more popular than others.
    Of course Rome wasn't built in a day however throwing a sale a couple of weeks after another would certainly look - to the sceptics out there - that the first wasn't as successful as hoped.

What about calling them promotions rather than sales? 'Promotions on bundles' or targeting certain subjects on a rotation?

8. CurriculumForAutism

I agree that too many sales too close together gives na impression that things aren't going well

9. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

My issue is the amount of traffic on the site. I have produced excellent resources at incredibly low prices yet they only get a few viewings. Even a resource awarded 'resource of the week' at the start of this year has only received 500 viewings, that's out of 3000+ secondary schools, ie 20 000 maths teachers. We keep getting told how to promote our products and I have now had a thread deleted when I did so. Very confused.

For me TES are not doing their bit. Anyone received a mail shot to schools informing you of these wonderful resources?