1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awesome Authors Sale - 10% top-up on all discounted resources

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by tesAuthorTeam, Sep 8, 2016.

1. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

[​IMG]

Hi TES Authors!

You should receive an email about this soon, but we thought we'd let you know here too:

Throw your own premium resource sale at any time from 12-25 September and, to support you, we’ll fund an extra 10% discount on your resources.* This means you’ll make extra sales and keep more of the profit.

Check out our guide to running your own sale: https://www.tes.com/teac…/…/tes-author-discounting-tool-live

Download our sale graphics to promote your shop (once your sale goes live) on your blog and social media channels: https://www.tes.com/…/tes-awesome-authors-sale-september-20…

*The additional 10% discount will be only visible to buyers in the UK and Australia. Sales to US buyers earn authors 100% royalty and so cannot be discounted by TES. If you start your sale before 12 September, the additional discount will be added once the top-up period starts. If you start it after 12 September, there will be a slight lag before the additional 10% discount is applied.

Do let us know if you have any questions here or at authors@tes.com

2. Merlinho

Merlinho New commenter

Thanks very much for reaching out. I'm definitely planning on adding more resources. I've been busy updating.

3. ABHIJEET

ABHIJEET New commenter

I strongly believe that all teaching resources should be free on TES and we teachers should work as a community, helping each other. I cannot pay from my pocket to download resources for my class. I prefer to upload resources for free and download them for free as well.

Owen134866 likes this.
  4. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

There are still thousands of resources which are free to download.:)

5. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

Do you teach for free?

6. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

My resources are on a permanent 100% off! :)

On a more serious note though it would be nice to see free resources being promoted as well.

Krazikas likes this.
  7. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Oh look. Another person who doesn't get it. NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO PAY FOR ANYTHING YOU *****. Was that too subtle or should I rephrase? We are authors and this is our marketplace. Do you whinge at Am azon for the authors who self publish and dare to charge for the hours and hours they dedicate of their FREE TIME. No? Didn't think so!

8. mrajlong

Wow! T w o n k is filtered.

Charleei likes this.
  9. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

We are not all teachers now. I am a retired teacher and without a pension. I have given a lot of my time and effort to the teaching profession freely, but when I taught I had to buy every one of the things which I used in my classes - even the blackboard cleaner and the chalk. I had to pay for my books and the magazine which my class needed for their work and even the key to the staffroom to get my coat in the evening. I hope things are better than this today.

10. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

This argument pops up again and again. I think before people dismiss selling resources they should at least read up on the subject. I love Angela Watson you can read her whole post here http://thecornerstoneforteachers.com/2016/09/free.html

But in summary: the free resources aren't free. Someone pays for them with their time or money invested. If they aren't going to see a return on that at all the quality will not be as good. (She goes into more detail and answers more questions. ) read her post it's very good.

11. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

Personally I have no objections if people want to charge for their work. I just choose not to.

This is the issue for me. It is certainly true that some free resources aren't as good, and some premium ones are better, but it isn't always the case. There are plenty of excellent free resources, such as these:

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/maths-relay-races-problem-solving-puzzles-6064073
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/pirate-trigonometry-now-with-solutions-6317928

I have used both of these every year since I downloaded them, sometimes with several classes, and there was very little planning time with either. At the same time, there are a lot of premium resources that don't appear to be much more than worksheets. I might then need to spend my own time doing answers for them and making something to use on the whiteboard anyway.

The problem is because, as far as I can tell, resources are not checked when uploaded. Therefore, I cannot be sure a premium resource is actually what I need (the preview doesn't really show much). I can remember buying resources in the past, only to find they weren't quite what I expected. If the TES had people checking premium uploads for quality and 'completeness', and only approving those which met certain standards, then I would be more likely to pay for something.

Premium does not guarantee quality (at the moment) and free does not guarantee a lack of it.

mathsmutt, thinky and Charleei like this.
  12. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Owen's comments echo the thoughts of many teachers. Quality is a recurring issue.

As somebody mentioned, it will take time - but could be well assisted by things like articles with in depth reviews and examples of innovative resources and demonstrations of classroom use etc. to help build confidence and show added value.

13. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I'm now a children's poet - and a popular one too because my work goes into many countries of the world and my published poems were chosen by many teachers and children - but for TES I think it would be very useful if teachers could buy the books and accompanying lesson plans to go with the poems. They would sell well both from here and my own website which attracts 1000 teachers a day. TES are doing a good job too. Is anyone interested in working with me?

14. mrajlong

Hi Josie. Sounds great, but I focus on maths resources (and some science). Didn't want you to think I was ignoring your request. Good luck!

JosieWhitehead likes this.