1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awe and wonder gas diffusion

Discussion in 'Science' started by willwakeman, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Anybody out there remember the practical where you use a transparent 1m tube to show diffusion of Ammonia and concentrated HCl fumes resulting in a nice white cloud somewhere near the centre of the tube?
    I'm looking for the tube..... any ideas who may sell them or am I just hoping that safety protocol hasn't stopped this practical?

2. Anybody out there remember the practical where you use a transparent 1m tube to show diffusion of Ammonia and concentrated HCl fumes resulting in a nice white cloud somewhere near the centre of the tube?
    I'm looking for the tube..... any ideas who may sell them or am I just hoping that safety protocol hasn't stopped this practical?

3. We used to have loads of plastic tubes (5cm diameter?) used for soil drainage in Biology. Try your colleagues. You may need to clean one thoroughly!
    We also used to drop a magnet through one, to compare with dropping through a copper pipe, when eddy currents were being discussed in Physics.
    I'm sure the usual suppliers will have some, possibly in glass which will be clearer. If not, try an aquarium shop, where transparent plastic tubes form part of a syphon cleaning kit.

4. You dont really want the material geting out. So probably best to err on the side of caution.
    The larger the diameter tube the better. I would have thought perspex would do well but it can be a bit pricey. Have a look on line and see if there is a supplier near you and then see if you can blag an offcut off them.
    It just struck me that it might work in a fish tank in a fume hood. Take the fish out first.
    Good luck, it does look great when it works.

5. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

A local model maker would be aggod place to start or art college.

6. J Chem Ed <u>76</u> 210 (1999)
    a different take on an old experiment.

7. bogstandardcomp

bogstandardcomp New commenter

Another good one, put petri dish on an over head projector so whole class sees it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xx4AUcT-D4&feature=related

8. How times change ... when I was at school, we had free access to the labs at lunch, complete with chemicals on open shelves. Half a bottle of HCl down sink A, whilst mate empties half a bottle of ammonia down sink C and watch the clouds erupt from sink B.

Worth the risk of being flogged with a bunsen burner tube ... though I think we escaped on this occasion.

Not that this helps the OP much