1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awareness Of Rhyme

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Emily2, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Emily2

Emily2 New commenter

Hello I wonder if anyone can help me, I'm struggling to find out how to show children's awareness of rhyme, is there an activity that people of done that's successful?

2. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Read them loads and loads of rhymes. Rhyme when you're talking with them. Leave off a rhymes from familiar texts and let the children offer them. Offer amusing alternatives.

Then ask yourself why such little children need to have an "awareness of rhyme" other than that slowly taken on board over a childhood where such things are just taken on board incidentally.

3. EMANON

EMANON New commenter

Have a look at: Two Fat Cows or The Grumpy Crocodile. Excellent rhyming stories

4. Natalie_A89

Natalie_A89 New commenter

You can play them audio's of rhymes and see if the recognise it and make the connection? you have it playing on an IWB Pro at the beginning of a lesson.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I find this a difficult one, too. We have fun with the song "Willoughy Wallaby Woo" (by Raffi); after they've got the hang of it, I leave off the last word and see who can guess which child the elephant sat on this time. It's great for sending them off the carpet one by one.