1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awarded PGCE with 60 masters credits but no QTS. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Brouhaha, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Brouhaha

Brouhaha New commenter

Hi TES Forum, I've been awarded a PGCE, Post-Graduate Certificate in Education with 60 masters credits, but no QTS as I failed my professional teaching practice (this is being appealed through the Uni's complaints process), but passed 2 masters, M-Level assignments to be awarded the PGCE. I even have the PGCE certificate! What do I do now?? Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You have a postgraduate award in its own right and masters units towards an MA. QTS is the requirement to teach only in the maintained sector. You can work in Academies and the Independent sector without QTS. However you need to consider whether teaching is for you if you have had difficulties with the practices, the first year of a professional role teaching will be harder than the PGCE.
    You should consider all your options and use the careers service at the university the prospects.ac.uk website is also a useful source of information.