1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Awarded PGCE with 60 masters credits but no QTS. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Brouhaha, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Brouhaha

Brouhaha New commenter

Hi TES Forum, I've been awarded a PGCE, Post-Graduate Certificate in Education with 60 masters credits, but no QTS as I failed my professional teaching practice (this is being appealed through the Uni's complaints process), but passed 2 masters, M-Level assignments to be awarded the PGCE. I even have the PGCE certificate! What do I do now?? Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

install likes this.
  2. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

In my experience, schools ask for QTS rather than PGCE when you apply for jobs and this is listed in the job spec as essential. Failing QTS would put you out of the running for most teaching jobs. But not all.

You could still teach in the private sector, and schools are increasingly turning to unqualified teachers. However I fear that the failed QTS would be more of a complete red flag which could put you out of the running, even when compared someone who had actually no teaching experience whatsoever.

Pomza likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Write off the qts for now. Take up Supply. Get some more experience - go for qts again if allowed when the time is right for you.

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I'm surprised your university didn't warn you you were at risk of failing qts and allowing you to withdraw. You could look at teaching in FE, or working in alternative educational providers like museums. As you seem better at the acdemic side, look at options of Masters or Doctorates.

Pomza likes this.