1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Award-winning headteacher resigns after Ofsted inspection leaves her ‘devastated’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Morninglover, Jan 16, 2020.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

2 years is not a better model, it is THE model which schools are supposed to be sticking to. Some have chosen to cheat over the years by doing three year gcses and only now are being sanctioned for that cheating.

2. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

It’s not really cheating, for some schools it’s a tactic to level the playing field.

blazer likes this.
  3. moscowbore

No, it is cheating

4. Lalex123

If it was cheating then leaders would be sacked.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Well no, because ofqual are toothless. Ofqual regulate the 140 hours per GCSE stipulation. However, in a norm referenced system where 30% must fail their GCSE and grades are no longer comparable - one way of cheating is overteaching. So by spending more hours than other schools your pupils are no longer comparable to other schools. It’s not what they know, it’s what do they know after 140 hours of teaching - that’s the exam. To cheat, spend more than 140 hours. That’s why parents hire tutors. It’s an easy way to beat a norm referenced system.

6. moscowbore

It really is cheating.

During the phase where ICT was being cheated on by every school in England, whole year groups handed in the same coursework and whole year groups got the same mark. Eventually that became too obvious and no-one was sacked, schools were just told that the practice was no longer acceptable.

That is where we are now with 3 year gcses. One or two schools fail their OFSTED due to a well publicised 3 year gcse and all the rest will fall into line.

7. Lalex123

So like the above poster, is hiring a private tutor cheating too?

I would say cheating is a very strong word because it doesn’t say anywhere that students complete a maximum of (X) hours. Is it not just bending to rules?

8. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

I'm finding this whole thread very confusing. Last year I did a little maths (not my subject) GCSE tutoring at foundation tier. Some of the exam questions were answerable by a half decent 8 or 9 year old. Are primary school cheating by teaching things that are needed at GCSE?

It is arguable that reducing the curriculum in year 9 by making students study just their GCSE subjects then is detrimental. But if anyone was really interested in breadth of curriculum the almost entire focus of some years at primary school would not be on maths and english.

Surely one should just teach the students in front of one at the speed they need to go to learn more. If that means that one does some "GCSE stuff" in year 7,8 or 9 because the student is particularly able then why not?

phlogiston and Lalex123 like this.
  9. fluffyowl

fluffyowl New commenter

The school have not yet had a GCSE class through that have completed the 3 year GCSE, the school's improved results were based on two years that did a 2 year GCSE.... I think this is also what OFSTED were planning to say...and then had to back track. You're not one of them, perchance are you, moscowbore?

The school's major motivation in offering a 3 year GCSE was due to mental health concerns. Pupils were getting so stressed out with the unreasonable demands of the GCSE that they were concerned and staff were in agreement with having longer to teach it. If OFSTED don't like it, they need to put pressure on to make the demands of the GCSEs more in line with the alleged time we have to teach it.

I believe that the head and staff at said school have decided to continue to teach a 3 year GCSE as we, ehem, I mean they, think it is the best interests of the pupils.....remember them? Little human being being used as pawns? Worried out of their minds? Noone can think why pupil's mental health is of increasing concern in the last few years?

10. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

Yes, there is definitely a large grey area. Skills acquisition (think learning algebra or how to play the piano) will take place over many years including primary school, yet forms part of the testing at GCSE.
    On the other hand, specific content (think Macbeth, Beethoven's 5th symphony, the Russian revolution), knowledge of which will also be tested in the exam, is intended to be covered within KS4 - normally 2 years. Sometimes it is not entirely clear whether a particular part of the curriculum falls into the former or latter category.

I agree that a school that teaches the same narrow content for 3 (or even more years) in the hope of getting more kids through the GCSE hoop is probably doing the students a disservice in reducing the curriculum offer. There are other, more successful ways of delivering a 3-year GCSE though, whereby Year 9 is a kind of transition year in which students build up skills and study related content which helps their understanding when they start their GCSE proper.

11. Lalex123

The people above makes a good point. So because samba, pop ballads, African drumming, classical music, pop music from 1990 to now, rock music, Greek folk music, Israeli and Palestinian music, samba, Indian classical, Bhangra, baroque, romantic etc are all on the GCSE paper, I can not teach these topics to KS3? What’s left for me?

I think what ofsted are getting at is that students who choose options at KS3 will drop subjects and narrow their curriculum. Why are the government allowed to take away options for students by introducing the ebacc but students can’t choose their options in year 8?

Not that it’s cheating....

12. moscowbore

I suspect there is a lot of trolling here so I will end my contribution here.

As stated previously, there is a number of hours set by ofqual to deliver a gcse.
    Covering subjects in y9 which may be in a gcse is not cheating. Covering only what is in a gcse in y9 is cheating.
    the ofsted objection is mainly that students are being deprived of a wide range of subjects in y9.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Which is why GCSEs should be abolished.

14. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I’m not a fan of GCSEs. Best thing for the curriculum would be to remove them and introduce an IB type diploma for 16-18.

JL48 and Lalex123 like this.
  15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

GCSEs are effectively a 15+ exam.

I'd go for a 14-18 curriculum, with a variety of pathways open to students.