1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Award-winning headteacher resigns after Ofsted inspection leaves her ‘devastated’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Morninglover, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Students should be able to recall the factors that affect the direction of the induced potential difference/induced current.

AQA

2. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

No, wasn’t covered at O level in the 70s did it at A level though. They were definitely answering Left Hand Rulle Q.

3. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

4.7.2.2 & 4.7.3.1 are notably different in their requirements.

yodaami2 likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

I did it at O level in the 70s

josepea likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax

yes, they still may be asked the direction of the current

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Sorry, I wasn't at all clear in what I said. I was assuming that the school would provide further study. For example, at my sons' bog standard comprehensive they did additional maths if they were good at maths. But it wouldn't need to be a further qualification, just to carry on studying the subject. Maybe for pleasure!

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I wonder sometimes whether the Ofsted inspectors in school are using the same Inspection Framework as Sean Harford, Ofsted's National Director of Education.

In response to the publicity about this school and penalising schools for having 3 year GCSE courses he issued this Ofsted Blog categorically denying that Ofsted does not approve of 3 year GCSEs or that schools will be penalised for having a 2 - year KS3!

https://educationinspection.blog.go...-decisions-in-the-best-interests-of-children/

bessiesmith2 and ajrowing like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

Fascinating.

The contradictions continue even within Ofsted. And the reports differ with their message / blogs.

9. leonni

leonni New commenter

I cant agree with you on this one i'm afraid. Many schools have adopted this stance, as I see it, the third year is great for revision and closing gaps. I'm a parent with a teenager going through this and I like this approach.

blazer likes this.
  10. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe New commenter

Oh ******, I thought this thread was about Greentrees 123.............

lizziescat, ajrowing and Rott Weiler like this.
  11. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

What about the schools who deliver gcses in the two years? Is it fair on them that your school has decided to give your son an extra year?
    Gcses are designed as 2 year courses. THey are designed to be delivered in a certain amount of teaching time over 2 years. Increasingly over recent years schools have decided to cheat and deliver over 3 years to improve their pass rates. OFSTED are now punishing those who cheat. Good.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It also assumes that GCSEs are the intrinsic value of an academic standard. They're not and should be scrapped. The extension of KS4 is an example on how they skew and ruin the whole education system.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

That's presumably because you believe that GCSEs have some kind of intrinsic academic value. They don't. They are ruining your child's education.

14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

GCSEs are exams. They are not courses.
    They are exams that have been fiddled around with by politicians and civil servants, with difficulty combined with politically ambitious pass levels.
    Schools have to make decisions on how to best deliver exam grades. The exams I know most about (science and maths) see the exam as the culmination of 11 years of teaching.
    As I think I said earlier, this Ofsted decision had more to do with restrictions to the year 9 curriculum rather than GCSE teaching. Most sensible schools have a KS3 curriculum that contributes to GCSE and most GCSEs follow on from subjects already started.
    Schools should not be competing with each other anyway (apart from on sports pitches).

Sally006, ajrowing and Cyberman like this.
  15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Which is the root of the problem. They should be concentrating on how best to educate children. The two are not the same, and that misunderstanding is why the British state system is so weak.

ajrowing likes this.
  16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm not going to disagree with you.

JL48 likes this.
  17. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

If ofsted are penalising schools that teach a 3 year KS4, what do you think will happen to those who can’t afford to employ enough staff to teach subjects like music, art, PE, technology, etc? Do you think they will get penalised too?

In my previous school we used the 3 year KS3 model to avoid paying for more staff in these subjects. My current school has students on a carousel so they receive these subjects once per week for a term, and then swap over.

if ofsted only penalise schools for the 3 year KS4 and not on marginalising ‘bucket 3’ subjects, the system is unfair and skewed.

18. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

That's disgusting. Since we seem to have taken an 'Australian style points based immigration system', perhaps it would be beneficial to take on their teacher hiring model too. Heads are responsible for the hiring, but the financing of teacher's salaries is the government's responsibility.

Lalex123 likes this.
  19. drek

drek Star commenter

I think that judging how to roll out the curriculum is beyond the scope of OFSTED. Just as coming up with teaching grades and then being given money to ‘train’ school leaders how to ‘judge’ OFSTEd style proved a complete disaster........and a shameful waste of funding.
    Teachers are expected to show differentiation in every lesson....why not schools?
    Of course it has never been really fair given that some teachers in the same department have fewer groups, and within those fewer groups have a much smaller ‘differentiation’ spread and the people who have never had to differentiate are then given the power to observe and judge those who have far more experience, particularly in circumstances where the children have been placed in far too large groups with absolutely no additional support, other than the infamous patronising ....’make sure you triple record any incidents using the correct colour coded forms’
    We teachers have had to put up with this in silence for countless years....
    A child of a drug addict still suffering symptoms and other conditions despite not taking drugs themselves will require more time than a child who has had a more fortunate start.
    If a whole school school community is comprised of children with similar backgrounds, then it is right that they are given that extra time on acquiring the same knowledge and even that is insufficient in some of these schools, given the short staffed overcrowded classrooms these children and their beleaguered teachers find themselves in.
    Don’t forget that the kind of academics that sit and planned out this so called 2 year curriculum had probably never taught in such schools and therefore their time based guidance is just that.....guidance only

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If 2 years is a better model then surely those school that choose to do them in 2 years will have the advantage?