1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Award-winning headteacher resigns after Ofsted inspection leaves her ‘devastated’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Morninglover, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

So are you also suggesting that my grade 8 piano is of more worth than that of my son, because I took mine in the term I did my o levels whereas he did it in a term when he wasn't taking any school exams? That's nonsense. He's a far better pianist than I am.

I'd like to get away from the obsession with ages and times and terms, and teach children according to their ability. Some would be ahead in everything, some would be more advanced in one subject than another. Very few music teachers would suggest that a child was a certain school year and should therefore be taking a certain grade on their instrument. So why should school exams be different? Lumping children together by their birthdays and then expecting them all to take the same time to learn is clearly a bad system. Just because we've always done is like that doesn't mean we couldn't change to something more sensible

Interestingly, instrumental exams have on the whole avoided dumbing down. Teachers don't want to use a board that might be perceived as easier or less prestigious.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My son did his grade 8 cello at 13 and choose not to do any further qualifications on it. Luckily when he applied for conservatoire they weren't interested in his bits of paper, they were interested in how well he could play. The dreaded 'evidence' of further study was in his playing. Not were they particularly interested in what other things he could do. Couldn't sixth forms quite easily assess whether an early GCSE taker had carried on studying by asking a few probing questions?

sparklepig2002, blazer and Sally006 like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I swear the reason I got onto my 1989 PGCE course was because the physics lecturer who interviewed us asked three of us a question on Fleming's left hand rule. The two, newly graduated physicists sitting with me couldn't answer it. Me, the mature Chemist with O level physics, explained the answer. I got on the course, they didn't. O level taken in 1973!

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Unless the school is still a LA school, the NC is not compulsory at any KS.

5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Yes that is true but this ofsted decision to punish because the school delivered a restricted curriculum suggests that ofsted are enforcing the nc anyway.

6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I’m assuming the school gets year 8 kids to make option choices, and then start ALL GCSEs in year 9. Which of course limits their curriculum. I don’t think there's a school in the country that doesn’t do GCSE Science over 3 years. But they don’t usually get them to take their options until year 10. I may be wrong.
    Science could be done over 2 years. But you’d just be lecturing and restricted to just the required practicals. Pupils would get fewer opportunities to: explore, practice, problem solve, experiment, discuss, consolidate. I’m going to be mighty ssiped off if our school has to rebuild its scheme of work to adjust to 2 years, this after multiple rewrites in recent years!
    Offshixe need to state clearly years before an inspection what schools can and can’t do, eg RULE 1 no set options until year 10, but you can start teaching GCSE if KS3 complete. Or ABSOLUTELY no GCSE until year 10. It’s a pile of subjective schiite and it makes my blood boil.

ajrowing likes this.
  7. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

[. We only count GCSEs taken in one year, and if that doesn't include their maths and English grades, then as far as we are concerned they do not have a maths and English qualification.

So don't think that spreading the qualifications out actually is an advantage to students.[/QUOTE]

That’s some weird entry requirements for a sixth form! Just send them to us, we’ll consider them with an interview.

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Whilst this might work for Music (possibly Art too) , I'm pretty certain some departments (Maths, say, or Science, possibly others ) would have concerns.

I'd also suggest that 'asking a few probing questions' would benefit those from advantaged backgrounds and discriminate against others, for example those from poor working class white families.

9. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Loved Fleming! I particularly liked watching other kids in the exam using their right hand to solve the problem in my O level! 1976. Mean I know, but it’s all a competition!

10. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Would it not be an advantage for the pupils to increase their study time, i.e. from 120 hours to 180 hours, particularly for pupils' who find it too difficult!
    What is the difference between continuing their studies in year 12 and implementing the three year study. This may reduce the number of re - sits. The new GCSEs are quite difficult and I would suggest for the foundation level, this would be a positive initiative!

11. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted don't like it. So they seem to be 'game playing' with schools. Remember Ofsted do not take context into account as much as they used to. And whilst they may look at the progress of poor / disadvantaged students they are still not keen on 3 yr GCSEs or early entry or easier IGCSEs done by some private schools ( not allowed in state )

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  12. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

It appears the school is indeed one of the few remaining LA schools. Perhaps OFSTED's real agenda is to force the school into a MAT.

lizziescat and bessiesmith2 like this.
  13. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

There is of course also a Fleming's right hand rule for induced current. This no longer seems to be taught but it was when I was at school in the late 1960s.

yodaami2 likes this.
  14. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

It's still taught at A level but hasn't been needed at GCSE for decades.

15. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

they were presumably answering a question about the right hand rule?

16. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

The A level specifications only mention the left hand rule. Textbooks explain the direction of the induced current by saying it goes in the opposite direction to that given by the left hand rule (as per Lenz's Law) rather than giving the right hand rule.

17. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

it is still taught in GCSE, and still needs to be used, but isn't necessarily named.

I call it the generighter

18. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

I've not seen that.
    Which spec?

yodaami2 likes this.
  19. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Strange how some threads develop. A thread about Ofsted and a head teacher resigning has developed into a discussion on Fleming's left and right hand rules.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I thank you!

yodaami2 likes this.