1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Averages Activity/Investigation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Thoresby_house, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Thoresby_house

Thoresby_house New commenter

Hello!

I'm on my first placement and have to teach Maths to a top set Year 6 class tomorrow for an observation. About half of the children are aiming for a Level 6 at the end of this year.

I'm teaching a lesson about plotting averages on a frequency chart and comparing two sets of data tomorrow, and I want to give the HAs something investigative to do as an extension.

I just can't think of anything, and I can't find anything on the internet. If anybody had any suggestions, that would be wonderful!

2. Thoresby_house

Hello!

I'm on my first placement and have to teach Maths to a top set Year 6 class tomorrow for an observation. About half of the children are aiming for a Level 6 at the end of this year.

I'm teaching a lesson about plotting averages on a frequency chart and comparing two sets of data tomorrow, and I want to give the HAs something investigative to do as an extension.

I just can't think of anything, and I can't find anything on the internet. If anybody had any suggestions, that would be wonderful!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Some find the missing number type questions. You can make them as challenging or easy as you like.
    e.g. There are 3 numbers with a mode of 4 and a range of 2. What could they be?

4. CIMT has some excellent activities for averages check it out it's a great resource.

5. Thoresby_house

Thanks - CIMT is really useful! I've found exactly what I wanted :)