1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Average Salary - Asian International Schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Spintop0101, Sep 16, 2018.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

but while that is an exceptional sum in the UK for a teacher, it isnt for an international teacher.

2. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Apologies - just read this post
    and it's utter nonsense.

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Jl48 you arebentitled to your "amazingly deep opinion" but some of us prefer to use facts. Fact is younger men with many options were choosing teaching as its steady, well paid and allows plenty of rime to do other business. Grrat choice and I always says follow the smart money. Maybe you prefer the dumb route.free world.

4. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Who are you quoting?
    True enough, although less and less so.
    Depends what you're comparing it to. My graduate friends generally earn quite a lot more than I do - and I'm on the LP scale + TLR in inner London.
    Lol - you 'aint worked in a UK school for quite a while, have you?

5. nemo.

JL48 nope but friends are teachers still in UK. And in other professions. Money isn't the complaints I get told. The middle classes in the UK have been ravaged since 2008. All have. Hence Brexit, Trumpism and nationalism.

But relative pay good especially risk adjusted.

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

No, I agree. Hence my earlier post. The main issue in London is housing, and if that's sorted then you're fine.
    Again, I agree.
    The relatively good pay still begs the question - relative to what? Other graduate jobs in London tend to pay a lot more.

7. nemo.

Funny how no where else but London exists.... but many grad jobs in London pay very little. Thats a myth

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It's the only place I know of that pays a Head of Science £70k. You set that parameter.

?

9. The Littlest Hobo

The Littlest Hobo New commenter

Save over $4000pm here and I'm in a Stan. Not all the money is in East Asia.

10. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

To be fair, apples are not being compared to apples here sometimes. Comparing state school pay in the UK with teaching rich kids internationally isn't necessarily a direct comparison.

Or perhaps it is. Perhaps the state/private ethical dilemma and class consciousness is just another way to keep us from earning what we can. I'll stick with my international school money, thanks. When I remember what I put up with in the UK, I'm grateful. Rich kids or poor, they're all humans. I'll take the higher pay cheque in that case, thanks.

11. The Littlest Hobo

The Littlest Hobo New commenter

I teach mostly poor kids in a government position. I don't want to go back to teaching in international schools. I just felt the underlying for-profit motive and consumer expectations were a lingering miasma.

12. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

I understand. Been there, done that.

I now work at a non-profit school. It's not perfect, but it's better than knowing your working for the boss' and his wife's new Mercedes Benz each year.