1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Average Salary - Asian International Schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Spintop0101, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Spintop0101

Spintop0101 New commenter

All good points, especially this one: OP, instead of asking what's in it for you, you should be asking why a school would pay you the big bucks. If you're applying as an NQT, it's very unlikely they would do so unless your qualifications come from a top university, you have previous overseas experience and/or you have prior teaching experience, such as EFL or the IB. Are any of these the case?

I would intend to minimize UK time as far as possible so I would apply at NQT and as a result I would not have impressive teaching experience. I do have an impressive professional background: Oxbridge, lawyer, business etc but none of that is very relevant. I did do a year of EFL teaching after university but that was a while ago now.

Ultimately I have always felt a strong desire to travel, particularly to live in Asia and learn a new language but I cannot find any way to get there in a conventional career move (and I have tried). Switching to teaching was an idea to achieve the same end goal using a different path. However, in contemplation I think I'm too focused on myself and I guess this career path only works if your focus is 100% on the children you teach. By contrast, taking up a role with a focus on living in country X and enjoying life in country X seems like the wrong way of looking at things.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It really is a career, just overseas. One needs all the traditional things to land the good jobs and succeed overall: qualifications, experience, commitment, passion.
    If you want an easy way to travel, that exists too, but it’s a different track, and it pays commensurate with the level of skill and commitment they expect. Specifically, working in language academies. Boring, unrewarding, but you put in your minimal hours and earn a survival wage.

Redparrotfish and Spintop0101 like this.
  3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

When I recently suggested, on another TES forum, that teachers in the UK were finding things a bit tight financially, I was answered with sarcasm and flat disbelief. Maybe things have improved so much that we should all return to teaching in the UK.

4. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

It's all down to where you live. Thirty odd grand a year will leave you destitute in London but is comfortable up north. The trick is to find a school in a location with affordable housing and low crime rates These locations do exit still. Too many ITs are running away not to and you can really tell the difference when you work along side them.

576 likes this.
  5. the hippo

Well, Redparrotfish, I think that most new appointments are a mixture of "push" and "pull" factors.

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It more depends on your housing situation. I bought a while ago, and with the low interest rates can live quite comfortably in London on a teacher's salary. One you're old enough to have paid off student loans, and have found somewhere reasonable to live, it's more the commute and workload that are issues in London.

7. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

I save 3,000 usd a month after all expenses, extensive holidays etc. I do monthly accounts so its an actual saving (I have a holifay sink fund I treat as an expense). That's while having 12 weeks holidays. Errrr so hard a life....

dumbbells66 likes this.
  8. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

I clear 4000GBP a month and have my accommodation paid for on top of that- nice wee flat that suits hub and I. Cost of living varies wildly- if it is a quiet month I can pocket 3500- if it is a holiday month or busy with birthday brunches and weekends away, I am dipping into my savings! I know people in my school who save nearly all of it, but I am not sure they are having as much fun as I am!
    All that said, I have been teaching for 14 years, and our less experienced staff do not make anywhere near what I get.

9. nemo.

Post 2008 Great Depression 2 everyone was squeezed, doctors, lawyers, engineers etc all suffered. So did teachers. Relative to these teachers are paid well considering holidays, working hours and risk-reward. The collapse in neo liberal globalisation has driven right and left wing nationalism hence Brexit and Trump trade war due to suffering of the middle classes.

Teachers overseas swap job security and pension (so have higher risks) for higher pay and often less stress as stufents are better behaved (usually). You leave behind family and friends as well. So pay is higher.

When I was last teaching in London I saw young Asian men from families that said before "doctor lawyer banker pharmacist or engineer" now add teacher to the list of well paid professional careers. Except bigger holidays to help with the family property empire (one new teacher was helping with 72 rental properties owned by his family - having a steady career helps with mortgage apps). A head of science will earn 70k. A solicitor 60k. Head teacher upto 200k a GP 120k. And being a solicitor is a horribly boring job. A GP needs huge capital to buy out a practice. A teacher doesnt.

So teaching is well.paid in UK. Government stupidity with education and terrible disciplinary issues in many schools are surely the main downers of being an UK teacher. These reflect a society that doesn't value education.

10. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

Which country do you teach in?

katkyle and Nataliefln7 like this.
  11. Jason_Bourne_

A head of science will earn 70k? Are you sure about that...? I can't imagine too many schools in the UK who would be paying that...

12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

where?
    i have a close friend back in the UK who is an assistant head (not in London) and he doesnt earn anywhere near that, not even close. if its an extreme example, then there are international school classroom teachers taking home more than that, plus having all the benefits paid on top like accommodation, flights, etc.

13. the hippo

Well, nemo, if society doesn't value education, then surely that will lead to poor salaries for teachers? And you do not seem to think that student loans are a problem for NQTs. All of the NQTs I have ever spoken to have complained about them.

"70K" might sound a lot, nemo, but is this before Income Tax and National Insurance and pension contributions and VAT on everything and Vehicle Excise duty and Council Tax and mortgage repayments and your TV licence fee? Or after? Like dumbbells66. I have a friend in the UK and he actually is a head of Science and he does NOT earn 70K.

14. nemo.

70k isnt much but same for lawyers accountants etc. Fact of life is people in UK are getting poorer. House price mega inflation as well.

But teachers relatively are not poor vs other professionals.

70k was ten years ago - Science hod.

15. Mickyd197se

Mickyd197se Occasional commenter

A head of Science getting 70k in the UK? Are you kidding me?

Perhaps at some elite public school, and even then I'm dubious, but not at any average school.

16. Jason_Bourne_

I agree that the cost of living in the UK is making things difficult for ordinary folk, however, this statement also applies to many different developed countries around the world.

I still don't believe that a science hod could earn 70k regardless of when it was...

17. loislane1

loislane1 New commenter

I earn a £1,000 a month less than I did in the UK but I will leave my current job next year with savings, debt free and had over 20 holidays/mini breaks. It really does depend on the cost of living in the country you work in. My wages is not the highest internationally but I live in a beautiful country with great opportunities.

18. walkingfred

walkingfred Occasional commenter

China- and I love it.

19. the hippo

Yep, walkingfred, China was pretty good for Mr and Mrs Hippopotamus and you can read all about our misadventures in the Middle Kingdom in my blog, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

20. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I've known HoDs earn 70k, but only in London. Lead Practitioner (aka AST) + TLR is about 70k.