1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Average salaries

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by gingerjacq, Oct 20, 2017.

1. gingerjacq

gingerjacq New commenter

Dear Colleagues,

I've been asked to suggest an appropriate salary for my current job role, as a Co-Headteacher (we are a team of three head teachers - one pastoral, one academic and one innovation, with no Deputy Heads or Assistant Heads) in a British Secondary school of just over 700 students from age 11-18) in Spain. Before I pluck a number out of thin air, I'd like to be able to base my suggestion on facts and figures. Is anyone in Europe in a position to let me know their rough gross salary for a similar role and the country they are in? That way I can do a comparison of cost of living and increase or decrease from the amount others earn. I have looked at UK leadership salaries, but need some other reference points in Europe too.

2. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I've been asked to suggest an appropriate salary for my current job role,

For a job you already do and surely are already being paid for!

dumbbells66 likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Had you considered asking why they dont have something as simple as a salary scale in place? What else doesnt have in place ? From my experience they usually dont have a salary scale in place for one reason only, and its not for the benefit of the employees.

I would be asking a really high figure and seeing what they say.

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Three Stooges (sorry, HTs) and no deputies!

truth_seeker12 likes this.
  5. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

6. dumbbells66

To try and be a little helpfully i suppose..... try and get onto Search Associates (you just need someones log in details). It lists all its schools starting salaries for teachers, and you can search by country. You could base your salary off adding at least 25% on top of a teachers salary. You are in Spain however, so be prepared to be disappointed with what they offer you in comparison to what others earn.

Best of luck

7. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

Who makes ultimate decisions if/when you disagree or on anything outside of these roles? I think that's probably more important to find out unless you're in it for a cut and run..ie take as much as you can and hope it lasts for as long as it can.

Without a clear hierarchy.....decisions are impossible and I've never known a case of it working in practice. Not in a hectic education setting at least.

Best wishes.

One other question - are you all being asked to do this together? The salary setting? If so make sure you all come up with the same/similar or have reasons for your decisions. In this country I would have said around the 60K mark but no experience of working abroad in an education setting.

8. Mainwaring

'Was that sarcasm?'

No, some incredulity and a touch of mild irony. Sarcasm (literally 'tearing of the flesh') denotes a personal attack.

9. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

:p or three deputies and no head......

10. gingerjacq

gingerjacq New commenter

That's correct - for a job I already do, and am being paid for, but I am looking to move on to a higher paid salary, have informed my school, and they have therefore asked what it would take to retain me.

11. gingerjacq

gingerjacq New commenter

We do have a salary scale in place, and I am at the top of it. But I am looking to move on to a higher salary and have looked elsewhere, and my current school have therefore asked what would be a good salary to retain me.

12. gingerjacq

gingerjacq New commenter

Thank you for the suggestion. Having lived here for 7 years, I am aware that Spanish salaries are low in comparison to many other schools, hence the reason I am interested to know what other European countries offer.

13. gingerjacq

gingerjacq New commenter

Many thanks. We work as a team to make decisions on anything whole-school, and then our Board of Directors has final say, or will give final approval on anything outside of the day to day running of the school. I was apprehensive, but it's working really well so far. With regards the amount - I was thinking around the same, but factoring in the lower cost of living, and tweaking the figure that way. I'm just interested to know what other countries offer.

14. dumbbells66

I would be asking €100 000 as a starting point and go from there. Im not sure how relavent asking others in Europe will be, as its well known that Spanish salaries are low in comparison. I have friends in western europe on €80 000+ just as an ordinary classroom teacher.

Best of luck

15. dumbbells66

16. gingerjacq

gingerjacq New commenter

Thank you.

17. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

I would talk to the other two head sharers. Negotiate a deal that works for the three of you. If that is not a goer I would be heading south at 110 per.

18. mrpianoman5

mrpianoman5 New commenter

Please name the country and school and DONT just say look on Search. Nobody else on here quotes such high salaries as you DB IDK why. Is that 88k before tax? Which school?

19. Mainwaring

Naming the country and the school is contrary to the TES terms and conditions and will result in the post being filletted into incomprehensibility by the moderators.

20. dumbbells66

Musikteech we have already been through this...its in Belguim. And i keep telling you, stop looking at British curriuculum schools only, there is a whole other world out there on the international scene. If you were allowed on Search you would EASILY see this.