1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Average profile point score on entry to Reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bumblebee111, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Help! Can anyone tell me if there is such thing as a national average that children enter Reception with please? Is the average for the end of EYFS about 78 or have I imagined that?!!

Thanks

2. Help! Can anyone tell me if there is such thing as a national average that children enter Reception with please? Is the average for the end of EYFS about 78 or have I imagined that?!!

Thanks

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

the average profile score for 2010 was 86.9
    http://www.education.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s000961/index.shtml

4. Thanks Msz. Do you know if there's an average 'on entry' score please?

5. Msz

There isn't an offical profile score for entry as the profile is intended for the end of reception.

6. I know, but can anyone point me in the right direction...How do we say on the SEF if our children enter Reception as average, below or above? What is average on entry?

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why isn't this obvious piece of information more widely known?
    It's an attempt at social engineering, actually.
    As long as nursery isn't compulsory, how can there be an average?

8. Msz

I think you would need to look at the developmental aspects.

9. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

I can't get my head around what is a 'good level of development' as doesn't it depend where the children are when they enter Reception? In that past when we have looked at the assessment data (going back to the stepping stones) we used to say 2 steps progress was very good, 1 step was good and this at least took account of their entry point.
    "12. In 2008, there was a change in the definition of a child achieving a ‘good level of development’. Originally, a child achieving a ‘good level of development’ was defined as a child who had achieved a core of 6 or more across all 7 scales of the PSE and CLL areas of learning. In the 2009 SFR a new efinition was introduced and a ‘good level of development’ is now defined as a child who has achieved score of 6 or more in all 7 scales of the PSE and CLL areas of learning and scored 78 points or more across all 13 scales of the EYFS Profile (formerly known as ‘a good level of overall achievement’)."

10. i think the problem is that Year R have little understanding of the developmental phases we track in preschool and I for one don't have much of the profile and points used in Reception! On the Isle of Wight for the first time this year we provided a 'transition sheet' to pass up on each child, this seems to be an amalgamation of what we are using and the Year R Profile. It deffinately opened my eyes to how the assesment in Yr R differs. However, I had a meeting this week with the teachers in the school whose site we were on to check if they thought our assesments were about right and they were still amazed by what we use!!!
    They also seem to be under immense pressure from above to get this cohort 'ready' for year 1 and had been struggling to explain how this cohort entered the school. I showed them the Progress matters data for the cohort they now have and will be printing for them. There should be this entry level data available across all LEA's, from a preschool and school perspective it's very useful.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

That was a bit extreme. In fact, I feel a right t1t for having posted it. [​IMG] What I meant was that I mistrust how these stats will be used because of the way SIPs crack the Targets whip at us.
    Oh dear. I've made myself look pretty silly.

12. I don't know what sector your in inky but I feel very sorry for these yr r teachers who seem to be held solely responsible for where the children are at the end of yr r, to the point of them receiving staff room digs. No account seems to be taken of term of birth, gender and so on. Pre-school we concentrate largely on the individual factors that contribute to each child's development, I couldn't care less if some go up not writing their name or sitting 'nicely' through register as long as they are happy, well adjusted and secure in the transition. I did tell them to pass on that if anyone at school had a problem they should come and see me instead, I'm sure they wont but despite the wage I'm so glad I have no one to answer to besides the kids and their parents.

13. It is possible to assess averages for the end of nursery if children are assessed on what age band of the development matters they are working within. That can be compared to their chronological age and can give an idea of where they will go next. The profile statements are also included in the development matters so, in theory, they can be tracked for progress through the development matters and onto the profile (not necessarily a good thing!). In my experience, most children are working within the first 3 statements of the profile (or their equivalent on development matters) when they start reception.

14. This was my big dilemma with my head asking for summary ready for Ofsted. I was told recently on an EYFS moderation course that on entry the children should be assessed on the age related stages. Therefore the stages which you assess them against (e.g stage 5) will tell you how many children are at age related expectations (e.g stage 6 Autumn/spring stage 5 Summer), below age related expectations and children entering school above age related expectations. Hope that helps or may confuse matters further!!

15. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I'm not sure that on-entry assessment is (a) physically possible or (b) meaningful.

16. Em1987

Em1987 New commenter

Hi

I know this is a very old post however my headteacher has asked me to look at some Reception data from 2009 that links with our year 6 results from July 2016. He has asked me to find out how many profile points was average, below average and significantly below for the children who have just left. Was there no measure at all for on entry to reception using the profile point system? If there was does anybody know what it was?

17. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

No, the profile was end of reception and was never designed to be used as tracking through reception. You should either look at progress from the end of reception, or look back to what assessments were being used...Many schools were assessing against the developmental age bands at that time.

18. sharon morgan

sharon morgan New commenter

Hello,
    Your baseline should give you an indication of which children are on track to achieve GLD at the end of reception. This time of year that would be children meeting age related expectations, those either secure 30-50, working within 40-60, secure 40-60 or working within the ELG. Any child working within 30-50 or below are then deemed as not meeting age related expectations and may need extra support to achieve a good level of development at the end of reception. It is possible for those working within 30-50 at present to achieve GLD and should be tracked more closely. Any child working below 30-50 ion entry to reception would indicate some additional need and should already be flagged up and receiving support that is different to the others or support from outside agencies. Hope this helps. This year's national average was 69.5%.