1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Average number of interviews?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, Apr 14, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Until fairly recently I got every job I ever went for. Now I'm old and expensive it is less easy. But I suppose one keeps going until successful. I'm on my first application for this year (came to look at a clickable advice but got distracted) but have two more in the pipeline to apply for as well.

I suppose I'll keep on until I get one. But I do have a job, just need a promotion.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think someone got one after 17 or 19 interviews last year.

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Average?! Well um have had A LOT more than average[​IMG]. I'm not really sure what my average is, but it's well into double figures - not quite triple figures though!
    I had one disaster of an interview. Long story but became quite ill, and ended up in hospital the next day, didn't say anyting to them, but I do think they probably thought I was mad or on drugs[​IMG]!
    I had 8 interviews all over the place in about 3 weeks at the end of last year. The furthest one being a 14 hour train ride away!! I'm quite good at not crying during feedback, but wait until I can't be seen by anyone, apart from the last one last year where I was at the train station, my Mum rang me, and I just burst into tears in the middle of the station - didn't hide quickly enough!
    I gave up after that[​IMG]

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Welshie - don't forget to add that you GOT A JOB!
    You make it all sound negative, but you GOT A JOB!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Oh yes - sorry [​IMG]!!!
    I should have mentioned - But then I got a job!! YAY [​IMG]!!

6. An interesting question. I got my first job on the first interview. I also got my 2nd job 1st interview. But then my 3rd job took TWELVE interviews. Why the difference? I don't know, other than i am now expensive and am a female in my 30s!!!!

7. For my NQT position, it took three "tries." I wasn't a very confident PGCE student and I accepted the third job when in hindsight it wasn't a great place to complete my NQT year. I then decided I wanted to work in a different type of school and applied to three higher achieving schools and again, it was third time lucky for me.
    I was then promoted twice, and both times I got those positions first time. Then it took ten attempts to get my first HOD position. I then went for another HOD position in a better school and got that on the first go! So average is probably anything between three to seven x

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

My first teaching post was interview number 9. I only had two interviews (but LOADS of applications) for a second post before I gave up on teaching. xx

9. For my NQT post I got it on my 8th interview - I'm hoping it won't be 8th time lucky this time around!

10. NNS

NNS New commenter

3 interviews last year, I hoe it wont be more than this this year...

11. dbn

dbn New commenter

Teaching Jobs 1-5 all first time, now expensive and experienced....onto number 3!

12. Before redundancy at the age of 54 two years ago, I had been a physics teacher in London. I have been applying for other jobs but being UPS 3, no chance. The number of applications I made was well over 200. All this netted me 11 interviews, none of which i got. Now I have given up.

13. Sometimes you just have to know when to give up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ramblings-of-a-Nobody-ebook/dp/B007HRACLQ