1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Average NC levels for Key Stage 3

Discussion in 'History' started by AJohnE, Dec 4, 2010.

1. I am new to using National Curriculum levels. Can someone help me with the expected average levels for Year 7 yo 9? I am working on the assumption that your average student should progress from Level 4 to 5 during Year 7, from 5 to 6 in Year 8 and from 6 to 7 in Year 9. Is this correct? If so, presumably, an average Year 7 pupil at the beginning of the year would be on about 4a or 4b, progressing to 5a or 5b by the end of the year.
    Thanks,
    JE

2. I am new to using National Curriculum levels. Can someone help me with the expected average levels for Year 7 yo 9? I am working on the assumption that your average student should progress from Level 4 to 5 during Year 7, from 5 to 6 in Year 8 and from 6 to 7 in Year 9. Is this correct? If so, presumably, an average Year 7 pupil at the beginning of the year would be on about 4a or 4b, progressing to 5a or 5b by the end of the year.
    Thanks,
    JE

3. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Seems about right to me. Though the less able ones seem to go backwards as they can't be @rsed and/or the higher levels are beyond their capabilities.

4. Level 7 equates to A/A* at GCSE wheres as a level 5 roughly equates to a grade. Most pupils will probobly go from Level 3 in year 7 to level 5 in year 9. Hope this helps

5. I wonder if you can help with my question?
    Are the levels the same for each subject? I teach history (NQT) and have been told that the students should be at L5 by the end of KS3 but that they may have different levels aims in Geography or English etc?
    Its all very confussing and people seem to give different answers!

6. There are lots of strange theories around.

The expectation, as set out by the DFES in the National Curriculum and through all associated schemes such as the National Strategy is that the average student should be at L4 in all subjects by the end of KS2 and L5/6 in all subjects by the end of KS3.

You may be misled by people who claim that their expectations are different because: a) Their subject is harder (this may be true but is irrelevant) or b) They run a two year KS3 (again irrelevant since schools are only supposed to run this if they feel a condensed KS3 will have not adverse effect on progress.)

7. Also, to the OP, one level of progress per year would be rare are is certainly not an expectation - or even an aspirational target in most places! After all, it asserts that a student of average attainment (L4) at the start of KS3 has become one of high attainment (L7) by the end of the Key Stage. The challenging target for Core subjects as set out by DFES is 2 levels of progress over the Key Stage - although it is NOT expected that every student makes tis rate of progress. Also, be careful about sub-levels. Although they have sneaked in to lots of Core subject official documentation, there is no such thing as an official History sub-level and there has never been an expectation for levels to be used in that way. Many schools are using them purely so that curriculum deputies can 'accurately' measure progress through the school year - a measure I have resisted as my school's Curriculum Dep because it is such complete claptrap.

8. There are no lazy students, just boring teachers.

9. Following on Jev's words of wisdom, a quote from an Ofsted Inspector: 'They will never misbehave if their lesson is interesting enough'.[​IMG]